Getting Residential Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I received several calls from GC's looking 'to add to their pool of EC's' which translated into - 'We burned through the other guys and we're hoping you're new enough to take advantage of.'
Here's another thing I couldn't have said better. If a GC is just starting out in business and wants to get prices from you that's one thing. But, if he's been around a while and wants your price ask him what happened to his other electrician(s).

I once was contacted by a GC that complained about the EC he was using, he wasn't reliable, didn't do great work, was sloppy, etc. I gave him a price of $14K for a new fairly small residence w/ state of the art kitchen appliances, AC, 4-zone heat, etc. He said his other EC was only charging him $6K. I said instead of complaining about him you should hire a limo, take him out to dinner, drive him home and tuck him into bed.;)

Dogg

Tough Times

Tough Times

Dmagyar,

Thanks for your great input! Boy, it is tough times, especially for a guy just starting out.:cool:Anyway, I am in the process of contacting property managers in my area. A few looks promising;) Thanks to all!:)

knoppdude

Hi Dogg,
I recently learned of an organization called "the Builders Exchange". I don't know if they exist in your area, but apparently, you pay an annual fee, and it is a place where builders submitt plans for bid. According to what I was told, you can use the place as much as you want, and it is a good way to make contacts. Once I get more organized in business I may check it out to see if it is worth joining, see if there is one in your area, and talk with them, I was told you can get direct leads as you can make bids directly. Good luck to you.

bradleyelectric

Hi Dogg,
I recently learned of an organization called "the Builders Exchange". I don't know if they exist in your area, but apparently, you pay an annual fee, and it is a place where builders submitt plans for bid. According to what I was told, you can use the place as much as you want, and it is a good way to make contacts. Once I get more organized in business I may check it out to see if it is worth joining, see if there is one in your area, and talk with them, I was told you can get direct leads as you can make bids directly. Good luck to you.

So can anyone else in your area. Whoever is lowest bid looses and has to do the work for the lowest price.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Here's another thing I couldn't have said better. If a GC is just starting out in business and wants to get prices from you that's one thing. But, if he's been around a while and wants your price ask him what happened to his other electrician(s).

I once was contacted by a GC that complained about the EC he was using, he wasn't reliable, didn't do great work, was sloppy, etc. I gave him a price of $14K for a new fairly small residence w/ state of the art kitchen appliances, AC, 4-zone heat, etc. He said his other EC was only charging him $6K. I said instead of complaining about him you should hire a limo, take him out to dinner, drive him home and tuck him into bed.;)
I've seen a bit of that too, with a former employer. GC seemed OK when we met him, said various things about other electricians he'd had. He did pay, I'll give him that. Invoice by Mon, get paid Fri. But he constantly covered our boxes & can lights, sometimes cut wires in the wall, etc. Always our fault somehow. Just ask him. Supposedly a high end contractor, but very sloppy.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Dmagyar,

Thanks for your great input! Boy, it is tough times, especially for a guy just starting out.:cool:Anyway, I am in the process of contacting property managers in my area. A few looks promising;) Thanks to all!:)
Check out property managers carefully. Some are great but some will go through all the contractors in their town, then call people in the next town. We once had a night call from an apt maintenance man. I went out, did repairs & gave the bill. He promised office mgr would send check next day. We fought 3 months to get paid. If a mgr calls you out at night or an emergency call for your first contact, specify COD for that 1st job. Even ask for it in advance. Give a price & ask for a check. You have NO leverage after doing the work, unless you're willing to break thumbs (not a good idea).

knoppdude

So can anyone else in your area. Whoever is lowest bid looses and has to do the work for the lowest price.

So, educate us, how is this different from any other form of contact with GC's? If a person can't bid properly, and that is all the GC is looking for, what makes this organization any different from GC's that are contacted through other means?

satcom

Check out property managers carefully. Some are great but some will go through all the contractors in their town, then call people in the next town. We once had a night call from an apt maintenance man. I went out, did repairs & gave the bill. He promised office mgr would send check next day. We fought 3 months to get paid. If a mgr calls you out at night or an emergency call for your first contact, specify COD for that 1st job. Even ask for it in advance. Give a price & ask for a check. You have NO leverage after doing the work, unless you're willing to break thumbs (not a good idea).

The ec's that asked for cash up front or a credit card are still in business almost all of the properties worth working for have credit cards ready to pay for emergency work the ones that do not have cards ready to pay are usually the one ready to stiff you

Dogg

GCs

GCs

Ok , you are right about that, perhaps the builders exchange is not such a good idea after all. It was just a thought

OK, Point taken,

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.