Gfci Inspection

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwi

When I tested a newly installed GFCI receptical (not by me) with a cheap three prong tester it was fine then I tripped it with the tester and it will not reset. If it tripped breaker in panel, is this a real problem? This house has 60 amp service.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Help me understand your question. Was the GFCI receptacle powered by a GFCI breaker, and did your test trip both? If so, did you attempt to reset the breaker by first opening it, and then closing it?

If this is not the situation you are trying to describe, would you please try again?

GFCI test

GFCI test

From what you said I assume:
1. You plugged in tester and it lights correctly.
2. You pressed button on tester and both GFCI and circuit breaker tripped.

The GFCI receptacle should NOT reset until power is restored (IE the breaker is reset) so it seems to be working correctly.

If its NOT a GFCI breaker that tripped its a bad thing...
If it IS a GFCI breaker then I'm curious why they installed a GFCI receptacle.

rwi

re GFCI test

re GFCI test

The gfci tested ok when tester plugged in and tripped correctly. Curcuit breaker in panel tripped at same time. so as far as ground fault protection it did kill the circuit but..if the gfci receptical is itself a breaker
why does it trip a second breaker (in panel)? Not all gfci tests trip panel breakers. The main thing is it does work so maybe I'm splitting hairs here. The reason it was changed to a gfci receptical was becauce it was outside and right under a waterhose bib.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
rwi,
If the panel breaker is not a GFCI breaker, then you have a problem as a GFCI test should never trip a standard breaker.
Don

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
rwi said:
. . . but if the gfci receptical is itself a breaker why does it trip a second breaker (in panel)?
I think you could use some help in understanding the terminology. The word "breaker" applies to the thing in the panel; it is never used in connection with a receptacle.

The "GF" portion of the term "GFCI," or "Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter," means that there is electronic circuitry that can detect current flowing from the normal conductors (hot leg or neutral leg) to "ground" (i.e., to planet Earth). Since that current might be flowing through a human, the electronic circuitry is designed to detect it and to trip the circuit. Here's the reason for my belaboring this point: That circuitry can be installed within a receptacle, and it can be installed within a circuit breaker in the main panel.

Our question (several of us have made this point) is whether the breaker that tripped during your test is also of the GFCI type. You can tell by reading the label on the breaker, but it is generally obvious enough because it is twice as wide as a normal breaker, even though it has only one switch handle.

Now, if the breaker is a GFCI type, then it would be perfectly normal for both the receptacle and the breaker to trip at the same time. Both will have sensed the leakage current (that is what the tester does: it creates a leakage current), so both will trip.

However, if the breaker is not a GFCI type, and if it tripped during a test of this kind, then something is broken, and is in need of replacement. That something is probably one of two things: either the breaker has failed, or your tester has failed.

In light of this information, can you now clarify your situation?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
charlie b said:
. . . it is generally obvious enough because it is twice as wide as a normal breaker, even though it has only one switch handle.
Sorry, Charlie, but that does not conform with my experience. The easy sign of a GFCI is the test button on the breaker. The only double-wide breaker with a single handle I've seen is a QO 2-pole.

Status
Not open for further replies.