GFCI INTERMITTENT TRIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Electrician commercial and residential
Business owners planned location of refrigerator and sink I’ll try to post a picture here as it’s installed in a break room

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Then the problem is with the refrigerator. They need to be the one addressing it, not you.
Yes but I’m afraid another refrigerator will do the same if internal circuit has current off just by a mere 4 mili amperes

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation

Below is what I always recommend for intermittent GFCI trips. Of course it is hard to justify the cost for occasional use.

Assuming it is a true current leakage and not an EMC issue.

Fluke 369 True-rms Leakage Current Clamp Meter​

What is EMC issue? I found no measurable current on EGC with my pico mili ampere oscilloscope

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Without finding leaking current on EGC then where could current be going if not all returns to neutral?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Yes but I’m afraid another refrigerator will do the same if internal circuit has current off just by a mere 4 mili amperes
The refrigerator manufacturer needs to solve this ground leakage problem, not you.

Good luck telling the customer they bought poorly.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
The business owners are known for buying budget equipment
I see this with 5k and up fridges all the time. The ice maker motor will trip it often. Price doesn't matter when manufacturers will use anything they can get their hands on that raises their bottom line. Cheap appliances tend to give me less issues than the nice fancy ones.

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
I see this with 5k and up fridges all the time. The ice maker motor will trip it often. Price doesn't matter when manufacturers will use anything they can get their hands on that raises their bottom line. Cheap appliances tend to give me less issues than the nice fancy ones.
Yea I was afraid I may have a problem with other fridges due to solid state values off just a bit

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Break room GFCI WAS REPLACED TO STANDARD RECEPTACLE TO LEFT OF REFRIGERATOR AS SHOWN

Attachments

• B8BF189C-2F7B-4238-9716-0196254D4EC0.jpeg
    B8BF189C-2F7B-4238-9716-0196254D4EC0.jpeg
    22.8 KB · Views: 19

ELA

Occupation
Electrical Test Engineer
What is EMC issue? I found no measurable current on EGC with my pico mili ampere oscilloscope
EMC is Electromagnetic Compatibility. A generic term used to explain how different pieces of electric/electronic equipment should behave in order to prevent electrical interference between them ( to be electromagnetically compatible with each other).
GFCI devices will all false, or nuisance trip, if exposed to enough electrical interference. When they are subjected to enough radiated or conducted electromagnetic interference (EMI), currents flow through unintended paths within the internal circuitry. Those currents then trigger the SCR that trips the unit. This EMI essentially bypasses the differential current transformer that normally discriminates the 5ma differential current.

If you used a pico milliamp current probe and oscilloscope directly on the EGC, of small enough resolution, and measured nothing, then you may have an EMC issue. Did you monitor the current at the moment that the trip occurs?
If it is an EMC issue you could try inserting an EMI filter between the GFCI and the refrigerator as a diagnostic step.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The refrigerator manufacturer needs to solve this ground leakage problem, not you.

Good luck telling the customer they bought poorly.
Maybe not...the Technical Committee for UL 943 was presented with evidence that power conversion equipment used in refrigeration and cooling systems can generate high frequency leakage current that can result in a listed GFCI tripping with the high frequency leakage current less than 5 mA. The TC voted not to even look at that issue. For the record, I sit on that TC and did not vote with the majority on this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.