GFCI requirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimbo817

The NEC states that GFCI protection is required in unfinished areas of a basement. I was wondering if this would include a family room that has an epoxy coating on a bare concrete floor. Has anyone else encountered this situation?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The NEC states that GFCI protection is required in unfinished areas of a basement. I was wondering if this would include a family room that has an epoxy coating on a bare concrete floor. Has anyone else encountered this situation?

If it is a family room then I suspect it is finished. The finish on the wall does not decide whether the room is finished or not

btw, welcome to the fporum

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Your answer is in 210.8.A.5 (of the 2014 code)
(5) Unfinished basements - for purposes of this section,
unfinished basements are defined as portions or areas
of the basement not intended as habitable rooms and
limited to storage areas, work areas, and the like

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
As of the current code, any room that is finished to a habitable state in an otherwise unfinished basement, would not require GFCI protection even with a concrete floor. As I understand it, the 2020 (or maybe later) code would require all basements to have GFCI protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.