Gfci Shower light

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickboy1375

Dennis Alwon said:
I don't understand this EGC. We have EGC's on the bathroom recep yet we are still required to have GFCI. Why would the EGC negate the use of GFCI. I understand it is not necessary on the lights over a shower but ....

A fan over a shower has an EGC yet it still requires GFCI protection.

I just don't see the need for GFCI protection on a luminaire in a bathroom that has a EGC... do you?

stickboy1375

JR-14-L.jpg

I had these installed over a tub and failed inspection... anyone wanna take a guess why?

iwire

Staff member
stickboy1375 said:
I just don't see the need for GFCI protection on a luminaire in a bathroom that has a EGC... do you?

I don't, and if there is a need then the post light out in the middle of the front yard needs one as well.

PostLight.jpg

Someone might try to change the lamp in the rain with the fixture on.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
stickboy1375 said:

No I don't see the need for GFCI in a bathroom fan either and it has an EGC. I am just wondering. Sure an EGC makes the light safer in a shower but why does it not on the fan???:-?

stickboy1375

Dennis Alwon said:
No I don't see the need for GFCI in a bathroom fan either and it has an EGC. I am just wondering. Sure an EGC makes the light safer in a shower but why does it not on the fan???:-?

Dennis, I've always been confused on that one as well...

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
stickboy1375 said:
JR-14-L.jpg

I had these installed over a tub and failed inspection... anyone wanna take a guess why?

My buddy just had the same experience. They wanted wet location over the tub. I called them and said nope... Then they wanted a wet location bulb-- I guess they meant par lamp. Finally we got them to understand. Halo cans with the open trim are rated for damp location-- no problem unless it is a shower and subject to spray--- of course that is quite subjective also.

stickboy1375

Dennis Alwon said:
My buddy just had the same experience. They wanted wet location over the tub. I called them and said nope... Then they wanted a wet location bulb-- I guess they meant par lamp. Finally we got them to understand. Halo cans with the open trim are rated for damp location-- no problem unless it is a shower and subject to spray--- of course that is quite subjective also.

Yep, I just dont get it, they want what they want, this is the trim I ended up installing. The homeowner was fine with the change...

JR-12-L.jpg

480sparky

LawnGuyLandSparky said:
Man they're strict!

I don't mind having local rules, just as long as they 1. properly approve them, 2. they make sense and 3. you can find out about them before you bid a job.

NOWIREHANGERS.gif

Yea, strict.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
goldstar said:
Just a side bar, try using Juno 5" cans w/ flat shower trims and 50 watt PAR 30 short neck bulbs (you'll spend a few more $$ though). They throw off a lot more light. If I remember correctly Halo restricts you to a 40 watt A-bulb when using a shower trim.
Since the main subject seems to be fished out, I'll venture down your sidebar. :)

I put a 90W equivalent CFL in my bath shower can, and that is nice. It may take it a minute to warm up, but once it's there, you could operate in there. :cool:

stickboy1375 said:

I can see why they may require it, its just another level of safety and it makes sense to me. I dont beleive anyone would try to change lamps while showering, but the heat and steam/from the water in the shower i believe might take its toll. Yes the egc should be able to clear the fault, but ive seen where the egc was corroded and got weaken and it did not in some of these residential homes. Water can be a funny acting obstacle. Also if we can require Afci's in homes that have not even been proven in the field , why not gfci in homes since they have been proven in the field.

So to me its just 'cheap insurance'. This halo shower light is the first i ever hear of a manufacturer not requireing gfci protection.

edited for spelling mistakes

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
georgestolz said:
I put a 90W equivalent CFL in my bath shower can, and that is nice. It may take it a minute to warm up, but once it's there, you could operate in there. :cool:

And is the can rated for such use. For that matter is the CFL rated for a recessed can. Most are not, however ther are some that are rated for that install.

stickboy1375

brother said:
This halo shower light is the first i ever hear of a manufacturer not requiring gfci protection.

Also Lightolier, Juno and just about every name brand recess does not require gfci protection. Just Kohler, a plumbing manufacturer...:roll:

stickboy1375

brother said:
I can see why they may require it, its just another level of safety and it makes sense to me. I dont beleive anyone would try to change lamps while showering, but the heat and steam/from the water in the shower i believe might take its toll. Yes the egc should be able to clear the fault, but ive seen where the egc was corroded and got weaken and it did not in some of these residential homes. Water can be a funny acting obstacle.

So your saying every outside fixture should be gfci required as well?

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Dennis Alwon said:
And is the can rated for such use. For that matter is the CFL rated for a recessed can. Most are not, however ther are some that are rated for that install.
Dennis, it's a 23W compact fluorescent lamp. I can install a 75W incandescent lamp in it's place. It's rated for wet locations, and the trim is rated for damp locations. What's the issue?

159-979.jpg

Last edited:

stickboy1375

georgestolz said:
Dennis, it's a 23W compact fluorescent lamp. I can install a 75W incandescent lamp in it's place. It's rated for wet locations, and the trim is rated for damp locations. What's the issue?

Compact fluorescent light bulbs may generally be used in enclosed fixtures as long as the enclosed fixture is not recessed. Totally enclosed recessed fixtures (for example, a ceiling can light with a cover over the bulb) create temperatures that are too high to allow the use of a compact fluorescent bulb.

Many CFLs can be used outdoors in an enclosed fixture. Check the lamp or package to make sure it is approved for outdoor use, and verify the lowest operating temperature for the area where the product is being used. If the lamp or package does not state it can be used outdoors, then it is not approved for outdoor use, even in an enclosed fixture.

http://www.gelighting.com/na/business_lighting/faqs/cfl.htm#2

Status
Not open for further replies.