GFCI TRIPPING ON A DELTA SYSTEM PANEL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adding a D-Y transformer won't help (as much) if the ones supplying the delta aren't a similar size; often the one supplying the high leg is significantly smaller than the other. It'll also add a minor amount of waste load. And the high leg isn't useless if you have 3-phase equipment, that's why it's there.

Better to find the cause of the trips. Checked all the neutrals yet?

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Not that it will solve your tripping problem at all , but, if you have the luxury of having the service changed to a 120/208v Y system without a lot of refeeding and resizing of existing overcurrent devices, and, your existing equipment is dual voltage, I'd go for it.

Jap>

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
All the new double and single-pole GFCI Breakers for this new commercial kitchen are tripping.
What other kinds of tests have you done?
Have you tested the utility neutral?
Are the breakers wired correctly?
Are the phases identified correctly?
Is all the equipment new? No old 10-50 cords in use?
I really think a Delta system in this building is just creating problems in this commercial kitchen
I agree with JAP 240/120 delta is not your issue, I have done dozens of kitchens, cafe's and restaurants etc on 240V delta.
Most common issue I see is 'used like new' equipment with the wrong cord, or someone spliced all the wrong neutrals in a pull box or wireway.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I’ve had one restaurant job where every single GFCI would trip intermittently; it was close to 100x GFCI’s in total.

It was a tear-down & rebuild fast food place.

Standard multi-meters could find no issue.
Utility data logger supposedly could find no issue.

After over a YEAR of back-and-forth between me, the restaurant, and the utility, we finally figured out that when Duke rebuilt their overhead transformer bank from a 600A service to a 1200A service, they didn’t upgrade the secondaries to our tap box. The Polaris lugs were melting because the cable was capable of half the ampacity needed. That was sometime last year they replaced their portion of the secondary and that cleared up the issue.

So anyway, not saying this is your issue, but it’s what happened to me when I faced the same problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.