Grass Growth in Substations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Does grass growing in a substation present any hazard to worker safety? Does it change the way a substation needs to be designed ie the ground grid? I guess I'm looking for re-assurance. :angel:

well, it's gonna be a mess when it is soggy and you have to drive equipment in there....

but... you could do miniature golf... or a driving range.... with metal shafted clubs, of course.
i'm just looking at the entertainment value.....:rotflmao:

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
Slovenia, but this I see all over the world from India to South America to the Islands. Like everywhere outside North America.

That interesting they don't subscribe to IEEE 80. Physics doesn't change much anywhere around the world

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
If the grass is over the 6" of well-packed gravel, sogginess during the rain shouldn't be an issue. And you can run a flock of sheep under the wires to keep it well-groomed.
That's not Astro-Turf, is it??

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
That interesting they don't subscribe to IEEE 80. Physics doesn't change much anywhere around the world

So why does IEEE require rock and their codes let them get away with it when the physics is obviously the same? How do they mitigate the shock risk?

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
FWIW, another non-technical factor.

'Progressive' political entities like Seattle with municipal power company do not do everything by technical rationale.
For instance, since the early 1970s 1% of substation cost Is required to be spent on artistic effort and making substations 'look good', '1% for the arts"

https://www.historylink.org/File/10645

You mean like this? :p

Attachments

• Otahuhu.jpg
    Otahuhu.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 0

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
The picture in the OP shows signage which indicates this is not a substation in the US and therefore was not likely built using IEEE80 or RUS as a guideline.
Would it make a difference if there is 6 inches of gravel underneath the 1" of grass.

A lot of our open air substation are built the way 'grandpa' did, rather than looking for new methodology.

iceworm

Occupation
So why does IEEE require rock and their codes let them get away with it when the physics is obviously the same? How do they mitigate the shock risk?

As to why the IEE required rock - Read Post 7

As to why other country code don't subscribe to IEEE 80 physics - no clue.

As to how do they mitigate shock risk - Ummm, ........ they don't?

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
As to why the IEE required rock - Read Post 7

As to why other country code don't subscribe to IEEE 80 physics - no clue.

As to how do they mitigate shock risk - Ummm, ........ they don't?

Post 7 is the axiom- then some other method must be in place to make up for the lack of rock or grass growing though the rock. Would you agree? Could a more elaborate ground grid make up for the grass?

iceworm

Occupation
... Post 7 is the axiom- then some other method must be in place to make up for the lack of rock or grass growing though the rock. Would you agree? Could a more elaborate ground grid make up for the grass?

You have already asked this. Answers are still the same:
No
No

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Then how do they get away with grass in the substation?

Ignorance? Plant manager wants it to "look nice"? Can't remember the last time I saw a prowl car from the "Substation Police" driving about...:roll:

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Ignorance? Plant manager wants it to "look nice"? Can't remember the last time I saw a prowl car from the "Substation Police" driving about...:roll:

I can't picture half the world being ignorant or exposing their workers to dangerous conditions. Maybe one country, maybe one utility, but certainly not first world super powers like Germany as one example.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Yes, and I hit “post reply” and nothing happens. I forget after awhile and hit it again I guess...
im on an iPad, maybe that’s the problem...

There should be a "Working" overlay somewhere on the page until it refreshes with the completed post. Until then the post button should not work. And the software should prevent exact duplicate posting. If the browser does not refresh properly you should only be able to post if you added to or changed the content.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
There should be a "Working" overlay somewhere on the page until it refreshes with the completed post. Until then the post button should not work. And the software should prevent exact duplicate posting. If the browser does not refresh properly you should only be able to post if you added to or changed the content.

It has stopped now, but yesterday I was getting some kind of server error while trying to post. I'd hit post again and I'd get a "duplicate post" warning. In both cases, nothing seemed to happen. Then I'd reload the tab and the post would be there. Sometimes twice.:ashamed1:

Status
Not open for further replies.