Grass Growth in Substations

Status
Not open for further replies.

topgone

But how does the grass play into all that? It still lowers resistance.

AFAIK, we do not allow grass to grow inside our substations. We continually screen our substation pebble matting every year, return the pebble while taking away possible soil brought in by foot traffic and equipment tires.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
All I have seen have gravel - usually pea gravel or washed river rock ~1/2"
IEEE 80 Safety is AC Substation Grounding, is a good place to look.

You will want to read the rest of it.

Editor will not let me put this line at the top:

All I have seen have gravel - usually pea gravel or washed river rock ~1/2" ~ 6" deep

Can you post more of it? Don't want to dig atm.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
We are required to put in a layer of gravel 6” deep. It is for step potential.
Yes, we have weeds occasionally, and spray them to keep them from the Substation. With all that grass it looks like it would also invite wildlife of some type.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I don't recall anything.

However it has been 5+ years, since I was reading it.

This has me stumped beyond words. Every substation I has seen in North America has a gravel top surface, and thats all I know, only to be told grass is better...

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Yes, we have weeds occasionally, and spray them to keep them from the Substation. With all that grass it looks like it would also invite wildlife of some type.

Required by company policy or mandate in the NESC/IEEE/ect?

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician

1. Proper grounding calculations and grid design should result in acceptable touch and step potential voltages without the additional grounding platform grounding. However, since the operation of the switch places the operator directly at risk when a substation fault occurs, additional precautions are needed. This includes adding switch grounding platforms and a 3- to 6-inch layer of clean crushed rock that covers the entire area inside the substation fence and extends 3 to 4 feet outside the substation fence to reduce the risk of electric shock.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician

1. Proper grounding calculations and grid design should result in acceptable touch and step potential voltages without the additional grounding platform grounding. However, since the operation of the switch places the operator directly at risk when a substation fault occurs, additional precautions are needed. This includes adding switch grounding platforms and a 3- to 6-inch layer of clean crushed rock that covers the entire area inside the substation fence and extends 3 to 4 feet outside the substation fence to reduce the risk of electric shock.

In theory, if you design the grid well enough, could you skip the rock? Or rather say, an engineer came to you and said a 500kv 161kv 34.5kv substation is being constructed with a ground grid such that calculations show the crushed rock can be ditched. What would got through your mind, and what would be your technical objection?

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
RUS specifications. Sorry for the double post, still getting used to the format and buttons...

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Well, for one is mowing the grass, the accumulation of grass over the years creating compost dirt, and the inability to get vehicles around the Substation yard during inclement weather.
Another would be AMI also crawling through the grass and up on the structure causing even more trouble when they short out something.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Well, for one is mowing the grass, the accumulation of grass over the years creating compost dirt, and the inability to get vehicles around the Substation yard during inclement weather.
Another would be AMI also crawling through the grass and up on the structure causing even more trouble when they short out something.

That is a legit concern.

Thanks for the link :)

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Yes, and I hit “post reply” and nothing happens. I forget after awhile and hit it again I guess...
im on an iPad, maybe that’s the problem...

junkhound

Occupation
EE, power electronics specialty
FWIW, another non-technical factor.

'Progressive' political entities like Seattle with municipal power company do not do everything by technical rationale.
For instance, since the early 1970s 1% of substation cost Is required to be spent on artistic effort and making substations 'look good', '1% for the arts"

https://www.historylink.org/File/10645

Also, what country is that substation in? Albania, Turkey ?? Note the spelling on the placard "Sistem 3" et. Al.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
FWIW, another non-technical factor.

'Progressive' political entities like Seattle with municipal power company do not do everything by technical rationale.
For instance, since the early 1970s 1% of substation cost Is required to be spent on artistic effort and making substations 'look good', '1% for the arts"

https://www.historylink.org/File/10645

Also, what country is that substation in? Albania, Turkey ?? Note the spelling on the placard "Sistem 3" et. Al.

Slovenia, but this I see all over the world from India to South America to the Islands. Like everywhere outside North America.

Status
Not open for further replies.