Greenhouse- wet location

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to use pvc conduit, water tight pull boxes and CGB's for every factory corded device. I will use water proof conductor cable which will be installed in the pvc. Any issues with this setup?

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

DrSparks

The Everlasting Know-it-all!
Occupation
Master Electrician and General Contractor
CGB would not be suitable for a wet location. Instead use CGFP. Also make sure you use PVC boxes with hubs for directly gluing in the pipe and not a threaded TA.

iwire

Staff member
I am going to use pvc conduit, water tight pull boxes and CGB's for every factory corded device. I will use water proof conductor cable which will be installed in the pvc. Any issues with this setup?

What type of cable are you planing to put in the raceway?

iwire

Staff member
I meant S.O. cord

It is a code violation to put flexible cord (SO) in raceways.

400.8 Uses Not Permitted. Unless specifically permitted
in 400.7, flexible cords and cables shall not be used for the
following:

(6) Where installed in raceways, except as otherwise permitted
in this Code

It is not 'otherwise permitted' for your application.

kwired

Electron manager
Is a green house necessarily considered a wet location?

It may have areas that are wet location, doesn't mean the entire facility is a wet location.

By design one could possibly designate the whole thing as wet - just in case - but only issue with NEC is what is deemed to be wet.

Dry locations according to NEC definition can still be subject to wet or dampness - just not on a regular basis.

Is a green house necessarily considered a wet location?

It may have areas that are wet location, doesn't mean the entire facility is a wet location.

By design one could possibly designate the whole thing as wet - just in case - but only issue with NEC is what is deemed to be wet.

Dry locations according to NEC definition can still be subject to wet or dampness - just not on a regular basis.
NEC may not consider it a wet location. But, when it looks like a giant swamp cooler, and has at least 50% humidity, and a 4 X 30 linear foot wet wall should it be qualified as a wet location?

user 100

NEC may not consider it a wet location. But, when it looks like a giant swamp cooler, and has at least 50% humidity, and a 4 X 30 linear foot wet wall should it be qualified as a wet location?

While this may sound overly simplistic, you really need to look at this situation like this-if it will be generally damp/wet, and you feel that gfci is necessary, it probably is.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It is interesting that every septic system with a pump, alarms and float switches come with a rubber cord. We always sleeve a 2" pvc and run the wires up to the control box. Not sure of a better way to do this. I guess this is really a sleeve and not a raceway

iwire

Staff member
It is interesting that every septic system with a pump, alarms and float switches come with a rubber cord. We always sleeve a 2" pvc and run the wires up to the control box. Not sure of a better way to do this. I guess this is really a sleeve and not a raceway

:thumbsup:

See it pretty often, it seems to be a widely accepted violation.

Status
Not open for further replies.