Ground Rod Remote

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fordean

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Installed a 480 station. From main service 180 feet away. Should I install a ground rod at area?
If so why. How does it help.

Main service 120/208 step up to 480 delta to supply station. 3 - #4's and 1 # 8 Ground. No neutral.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Maybe I am not correct as I may be reading you incorrectly.

The three #4 and the equipment grounding conductor #8 are feeding What?

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
Installed a 480 station. From main service 180 feet away. Should I install a ground rod at area?
If so why. How does it help.

Main service 120/208 step up to 480 delta to supply station. 3 - #4's and 1 # 8 Ground. No neutral.
What is your 480v station? I don’t know what that is.

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
As far as the ground rod helping. All’s I can say is it’s required at separate structures in the NEC. Here’s what others have to say.

kwired

Electron manager
Step up to from 208 to 480 Delta is my questionable area. How was the EG derived at that point?

New installation of xfmer?
Also is step up at the final equipment or is it at the beginning of the run?

Grounding rules don't really change between wye and delta, just which conductor will be grounded does.

d0nut

Another pesky detail would be if the powerwasher station has controls or something else expecting 277V to ground that a delta system would toast since it would be 480V to ground.

kwired

Electron manager
Another pesky detail would be if the powerwasher station has controls or something else expecting 277V to ground that a delta system would toast since it would be 480V to ground.
Probably not too likely to have a 277 volt load, but very possibly can have surge protection that is only rated for maybe 300 volts max to ground normal operational volts.

Fordean

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Step up to from 208 to 480 Delta is my questionable area. How was the EG derived at that point?

New installation of xfmer?
Sorry some replies are from my iphone. Which I don't like to do. I posted this on other thread. Just checking the ground rod.
He bought the powerwasher and never consulted with anyone on this. Electrically and its requirements. Unit ran great. The controls with the soft start ran beautiful. Very high PSI. Disregard questions in picture. They were addressed in other posts. In which, I believe you contributed your thoughts. Your always reliable. Amongst many others.
Ty Motor lable.jpg

Exact install
Pressure washer motor design.png

kwired

Electron manager
Sorry some replies are from my iphone. Which I don't like to do. I posted this on other thread. Just checking the ground rod.
He bought the powerwasher and never consulted with anyone on this. Electrically and its requirements. Unit ran great. The controls with the soft start ran beautiful. Very high PSI. Disregard questions in picture. They were addressed in other posts. In which, I believe you contributed your thoughts. Your always reliable. Amongst many others.
Ty View attachment 2559601

Exact install
View attachment 2559600
Based on drawing the separately derived system needs grounding/bonding connection either at the source or at the first disconnecting means. Since it appears to be a single branch circuit beyond that first disconnecting means a grounding electrode system not needed at the load (even if it is a separate structure). If it were a separate structure and you had multiple branch circuits at that structure you would need to have a grounding electrode system at the separate structure.

If this is corner grounded delta there is no neutral conductor to the system. The grounded conductor ( a phase conductor) is still a "grounded conductor" and must be white or gray or acceptable identification if #4 or larger, and a separate EGC must be run.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I read that as the trany and panel are at the main structure and the equipment is by itself 190' away. I don't see that as needing a ground rod.

Status
Not open for further replies.