Ground rods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have never seen a GEC buried to a depth of 2'. Is this not required for the GEC esp. when it goes to the second ground rod?

also, I agree the EGC does not have to be continuous to the second ground rod but why by another ground clamp. It's easier to leave it continuous.

iwire

Staff member
Dennis Alwon said:
I have never seen a GEC buried to a depth of 2'. Is this not required for the GEC esp. when it goes to the second ground rod?

There is no depth regiment for GECs

but why by another ground clamp. It's easier to leave it continuous.

Sometimes it is easer to leave it continuous, sometimes not. :)

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
There have been many proposals to get a burial requirement for GECs, they have all been rejected for lack of substantiation. 300.5 does not govern the installation of GECs.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
300.5 (A) Minimum Cover Requirements Direct-buried cable or conduit or other raceways shall be installed to meet the minimum cover requirements of Table 300.5.

A GEC would not meet the definition of cable here, it would only be a lowly conductor.

Roger

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
georgestolz said:
There have been many proposals to get a burial requirement for GECs, they have all been rejected for lack of substantiation. 300.5 does not govern the installation of GECs.

Thanks George & Bob. I always wondered about it and assumed it wasn't a problem, esp. since I have never been hit on it.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Actually, I just reviewed, and a proposal was accepted in the 2005 cycle for a burial requirement. The panel recieved a few comments about the lack of substantiation in the proposal, and it became rejected in the comment phase.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
roger said:
300.5 (A) Minimum Cover Requirements Direct-buried cable or conduit or other raceways shall be installed to meet the minimum cover requirements of Table 300.5.

A GEC would not meet the definition of cable here, it would only be a lowly conductor.

Roger

Since you brought it up... Col. 1 in Table 300.5 says direct burial cables or conductors. Since copper can be buried I would assume that it would be covered there.

Obviously art. 300.5(A) is not quite accurate when it excluded conductors

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Dennis Alwon said:
Obviously art. 300.5(A) is not quite accurate when it excluded conductors

Agreed.

Or included them

Roger

randypape

thanks

thanks

thank you for the illustration and reply. i was at Menards today and they had 8ft long - 1/2in and 5/8 in copper ground rods. any preference or should i look elsewhere? not much price difference between them. thanks Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.