Ground test well

anbm

Is ground test well really needed? Can ground resistance be measured at the ground bar or ground rod instead?
I walked different sites, some buildings I do see ground test well and some do not have one.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Not by the NEC. Test well shows location of GR. Most I have seen are CAD weld connections. Perhaps the intent was to allow disconnecting the GEC for testing. Others may know.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree with infinity, they are installed per boiler plate spec. We used on traffic signal services to locate ground rods for ug work nearby
The last big project where we installed them was a huge apartment complex. No one tested them when the building was constructed and I can assure you that no one will ever go back and test anything. And with good reason, testing would be a waste of time and money. :rolleyes:

anbm

The last big project where we installed them was a huge apartment complex. No one tested them when the building was constructed and I can assure you that no one will ever go back and test anything. And with good reason, testing would be a waste of time and money. :rolleyes:
Where does it connect to? counterpoise?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Then why can they not measure ground resistance at the ground rod where rod portion exposed above the ground?
The test wells are in the floor of the basement. The rods are below the concrete floor.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Like Rob, out of many test wells I installed, I would say not one was ever used