"Ground" wire needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadpoint

... The problem comes in, as stated before, when the POCO bonds XO at their transformer and the electrician installs the main bonding jumper at the service disconnecting means putting this conductor in parallel with the neutral conductor.

I disagree, the Poco would never Bond the XO, I think it is nearsighted to think that a electricain won't look at the what the POCO did or didn't do, or to not know what they will do, IE not bond the XO.

Bond comes to mind after Service Point, I agree to that only...

jbt260

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Most transformers come with a ground strap bonding the transformer case and the X0 bushing. POCO is going to provide you with a grounded service. As stated before, connecting an EGC to the transformer case will parallel it with the neutral.

pete m.

I disagree
As is your right to :)

But, I'm not sure if you disagree with me or the POCO. I don't have any influence over their methods or means. I simply stated what they will do (at least in this little part of the world) and because of this the "extra" conductor would end up being in parallel with the neutral.

Pete

paul

Confusion

Confusion

Running a ground in the service entrance pipes only confuses the utility workers. If you want to watch some entertainment, then my vote is yes. If you want to save money, my vote is no. :)

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Years ago when,we didnt know any better, there was a job that we pulled a ground wire in each conduit from the Pad mount location to the First disconnecting means.
When the Power company showed up with the transformer, they cut all of the grounds off at pipe level.
It doesnt take but once to know not to do it again.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I disagree, the Poco would never Bond the XO, I think it is nearsighted to think that a electricain won't look at the what the POCO did or didn't do, or to not know what they will do, IE not bond the XO.

Bond comes to mind after Service Point, I agree to that only...
If it is a grounded system the power company always bonds XO, at least that is what our power company does.

hurk27

I suppose there is no name for this wire?[/QUOTE]

I would have thought it would be called a "system bonding jumper" but in looking at 250.30(A)(1) it doesn't really fit that bill either:confused:

the FPN in that section does point you to 250.142 for use of the grounded circuit conductor for grounding equipment to, and here in Indiana if you specify a grounded system the X0 will be bonded at the transformer, here only CT metered services are allowed to be ungrounded system by special request, so it's the norm for the X0 to be bonded like Don said, I have never heard of a utility who don't try to bond the secondary to the MGN, which is the same as bonding the X0? this is one of the main causes of utility stray voltage at farms and pools.
Even the NTSC requires this bond in almost all cases, but I think now allows a neutral blocker to be used.

We can under an engineer supervision request a separate EGC to be run with the service conductors so long runs don't put the neutral voltage drop on the grounding at the building, but that is a tough request to get allowed, we had to do this once for a house with a swimming pool that had over 800' run from the transformer to the house, the voltage drop on the neutral was causing a voltage between all the grounding at the house and Earth, including the pool, but the panel at the house was not bonded, like a subpanel.

Status
Not open for further replies.