Grounded subpanel

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
What Dr. Phil calls a mandated reporter.
I know nothing about anything Dr. Phil says, but the requirement to protect the public is written into the rules I am obligated to follow to maintain my PE license.

tthh

Occupation
Retired Engineer
You know, you have to feel for the OP. New guy and in a lot of places, the new guy is expected to do and not so much question. It is good he came here, and in not so many words, asked how bad is this, becuse maybe this is one of those instances where I can't be a new guy and stay quiet. Learning is good.

Earthed

Occupation
Electrical Inspector, Plumbing Inspector, Residential Building Official
I am an electrical engineer and would like some help understanding the grounding in the image below.
I see 6 grounded conductors but no 'grounding' conductors EGC. I see 3 - 220V circuits one of which is using 2 different raceways. This is a hot mess.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I see 6 grounded conductors but no 'grounding' conductors EGC. I see 3 - 220V circuits one of which is using 2 different raceways. This is a hot mess.
There are 5 cables, 3 MC cables with green conductors and 2 AC cables with the jacket as the EGC. The MC cable at the top has the EGC taped black and is being used as an ungrounded conductor. The other two MC cables have their EGC's on the neutral bus.

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
@rambojoe I feel like there was a misunderstanding here.

As @winnie stated and is correct, I did not wire this panel nor did I design the blueprints for this apartment. I am completely unrelated to the work that was done.

I walked into this situation on the field, which prompted a few questions and I thought it would be interesting to hear other peoples opinions.

Most engineers see a blueprint in the office and find a clean code compliant install on the field, but sooner or later you walk into a situation like this that teaches you a lot. It's something I can reference for future.

This post may have gone off the rails, but I did learn a lot from it, even small things like what are "red devils". I am slightly better than I was yesterday, so its a win.

Appreciate all the feedback!
A win is good, so is a lesson learned.
60% of the time i am always right.
Im sorry i made it personal...
I do apologize. 25 years of bad things and people getting hurt starts to grind the ol gears.
And even better dengineer, you have a good attitude.