Grounding Electrode Conductor at Common Location

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
If no other overcurrent ahead of the trough taps then the GEC would be no different than doing N/G bond at weather head, or meter and sized accordingly. But, remember N/G bond at one location only. The enclosure in illustration would require a seperate EG bar to land the EGC and eliminate the bonding jumper from the neutral bar.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Ah. So that means Pic B is invalid, and you cannot make those connections? Meaning Pic C, that I attached here, is the correct way when you are ahead of the disconnects? So this fits into section (D)(3) then, with the common connection? Here I would size the GEC based on the 350 MCM service entrance conductors.

Pic C
View attachment 2557915
Exactly, instead of using "taps" like in your original pic B you just run the GEC directly to a point ahead of the service disconnects. It is sized according to Table 250.66. For 350 kcmil Cu it would be a #2 Cu GEC.

Grouch1980

Exactly, instead of using "taps" like in your original pic B you just run the GEC directly to a point ahead of the service disconnects. It is sized according to Table 250.66. For 350 kcmil Cu it would be a #2 Cu GEC.
Perfect. That was my confusion, if pic B was a valid method of connection or not. So no then. Great! Thanks for the help in this.

Status
Not open for further replies.