Grounding Electrode conductor (Ground Rod) section 250.66 (A)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Actually, he shouldn't say something is not allowed unless HE can prove otherwise. :angel:

Yes but we all have done things a certain way before we where shown the correct way. I remember back in the day that I did not know a #6 was all that was required.

We just took #4 on a 200 AMP service so in case we had metal waterlines entering. I thought #4 was required regardless.

stickboy1375

Yes but we all have done things a certain way before we where shown the correct way. I remember back in the day that I did not know a #6 was all that was required.

We just took #4 on a 200 AMP service so in case we had metal waterlines entering. I thought #4 was required regardless.

That's fine, but you can't fail it just by saying "you failed" you have to show the code violation.

I had an inspector tell me I couldn't have wall hung vanity lights because they were with in reach of a bathtub.... Hows that one on the job performance? :)

Last edited:

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
That's fine, but you can't fail it just by saying "you failed" you have to show the code violation.

I had an inspector tell me I couldn't have wall hung vanity lights because they were with in reach of a bathtub.... Hows that one on the job performance? :)

OK here I showed you. I'm wrong but I showed you!

No one knows everything or none of us would be here.

250.66.JPG

stickboy1375

OK here I showed you. I'm wrong but I showed you!

No one knows everything or none of us would be here.

View attachment 7163

Great, now convince everyone else to self educate. :) What really disturbs me is that my state requires yearly continuing education classes, I'm not 100% sure if inspectors are required to attend as well, I'm assuming NO, unless they carry a license and wish to keep it, so who is educating these people in their duties? Sorry for the rant, just something that bothers me in my area where I work.

Last edited:

hurk27

Disregard as WOW not only am I missing second and thrid page now I'm not scrolling down to see all the post to see what I posted was alread caught:ashamed1:

Must be the getting the new job, I'm now working for US Steel yea:happyyes: but 5:00am comes early, so got to get myself to bed:happyyes:

probably the electrical reviewer didn't understand my diagram or maybe City of Miami local codes doesn't allow this rule. Thank you for the replays !! Please right click and select view image to enlarge it.

View attachment 7158

You are missing the very statement in the drawing that the EE is allowing the #6 if allowed by local code.

From the drawing:
If local building allow section 250.66(A) then apply rule to the electrode

250.66(A) is the rule that states that we do not need anything larger then a #6 if it is the sole connection to the rod, read the print to the left of the rod.

Last edited:

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Great, now convince everyone else to self educate. :) What really disturbs me is that my state requires yearly continuing education classes, I'm not 100% sure if inspectors are required to attend as well, I'm assuming NO, unless they carry a license and wish to keep it, so who is educating these people in their duties? Sorry for the rant, just something that bothers me in my area where I work.

In Ohio 30 hrs every three years plus mandated classes on every new NEC. These classes are taught or supervised by electrical inspectors and these courses need to be approved by the BBS (Board of Building Standards).

To become an inspector you can see the requirements here:
http://www.com.ohio.gov/dico/docs/100.pdf

Could be a trainee!

Status
Not open for further replies.