grounding electrode for a portable generator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireguru

Does a portable generator which is supplying all cord and plug connected loads, not located in a building, and no connection to any permanant wiring require a grounding electrode?

For example in a carnival / outdoor event type setup with a 30kw generator, camlock feeder cables to a portable power distribution box, SO cables from there to loads such as vendor tents, lighting, sound, etc.

wireguru

Take a look at 250.34(A).

Chris

thanks, but I am not clear on what constitutes "cord and plug connected equipment through receptacles mounted on the generator".

If there are camlock connectors mounted on the generator, is no grounding electrode required for the scenario I outlined? I checked the definition of 'receptacle' and there is no mention of the number of poles. Can generator mounted camlock connectors be considered receptacles?

erickench

It sounds like it comes under the heading of an Optional Standby System. NEC 702.10 answers your question. It refers to NEC 250.30. You must have a grounding electrode yes.

thanks, but I am not clear on what constitutes "cord and plug connected equipment through receptacles mounted on the generator".

If there are camlock connectors mounted on the generator, is no grounding electrode required for the scenario I outlined? I checked the definition of 'receptacle' and there is no mention of the number of poles. Can generator mounted camlock connectors be considered receptacles?[/quote]

Camlock connectors are a form of hard wiring and the generator would then require a ground rod(s).

benaround

If there are camlock connectors mounted on the generator, is no grounding electrode required for the scenario I outlined? I checked the definition of 'receptacle' and there is no mention of the number of poles. Can generator mounted camlock connectors be considered receptacles?

If the gen. is installed as a SDS ( neutral bonded to gen. frame ) no grounding electrode is

needed.

wireguru

lets assume for a moment gen neutral is bonded to frame. no ground rod required?

pierre, can you show me some documentation that camlock connectors are considered hard wiring? I am not doubting you, i just want to read up on it.

how is this an optional standby system? its providing temporary power for a day.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I think that the change in the definition of "grounded" for the 2008 code really causes problems for portable generators. If the generator is supplying a voltage system that is required to be a grounded system, how can you make it a grounded system without a connection to a grounding electrode under the 2008 code? In the 2005 code the definition of "grounded" included the words "or other conducting body that serves in place of the earth". With those words, you could have a grounded system if the generator neutral was bonded to the generator frame as the generator frame was "a conducting body serving in place of the earth". With the 2008 code that has changed and it is not possible to have a grounded system unless you have a grounding electrode.

Status
Not open for further replies.