Grounding electrode proximity to Service disconnect

nizak

I have a scenario ( residential) where the incoming copper water supply is almost 225’ per wire route from the service disconnect.

Is there a point when the distance of the wire run outweighs the effectiveness of dissipating the fault?

The entire length of the wire run is in the building interior . I t consists of traveling through wall space, attic space, crawl space and above a portion of dropped ceiling.

It is literally the furthest point from A to B.

There are currently 2 8’ driven rods at the service but the copper water is available just in no way convenient.

Does it need to be used if I can prove 25 ohms or less at the 2 driven rods?

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
I personally would argue to any inspector that the water line is not a usable/feasible grounding electrode being that far.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I have a scenario ( residential) where the incoming copper water supply is almost 225’ per wire route from the service disconnect.

Is there a point when the distance of the wire run outweighs the effectiveness of dissipating the fault?
What does it mean to 'dissipate' a 'fault', and what does that have to do with the grounding electrode?

The entire length of the wire run is in the building interior . I t consists of traveling through wall space, attic space, crawl space and above a portion of dropped ceiling.

It is literally the furthest point from A to B.

There are currently 2 8’ driven rods at the service but the copper water is available just in no way convenient.

Is it confirmed that the water pipe is actually an electrode? Can you bond the water pipe closer at a point where it is electrically continuous to the pipe in the ground?

See the discussion started here and picked up here. You can try this argument with the inspector, that the code doesn't actually say the water has to be bonded where it enters the building.

Or you can do Tom's idea.

Does it need to be used if I can prove 25 ohms or less at the 2 driven rods?
No, this makes no difference to the code requirements.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I guess one option to avoid this would be to splice in a short piece of non metallic pipe in the water supply line. And then there would be no water pipe electrode available. Next case...

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I guess one option to avoid this would be to splice in a short piece of non metallic pipe in the water supply line. And then there would be no water pipe electrode available. Next case...
I like it.