Grounding Satellite Dish in Apartment

Status
Not open for further replies.

jreamer

Is there any possible way to ground a dish in an apartment without the wiring leaving the patio? Our apartment requires we meet NEC guidlines, Manufacturer guidlines and we cannot leave our exclusive use area. I filed a petition with the FCC, but they are giving me the impression they dont want to set a precedent of allowing renters to leave their exclusive use area. It seems these regulations make it impossible to get a dish. Any suggestions?

jreamer

Re: Grounding Satellite Dish in Apartment

I am not an electrician or anything. So is my option to use a ground rod? If so, does it have to be bonded to the building's ground? Can I assume the building has no ground if they will not let me use it? The apartment will not let me use the building ground which is 5 ft from my patio.

jwelectric

810.21 Grounding Conductors ? Receiving Stations.
(E) Run in Straight Line. The grounding conductor for an antenna mast or antenna discharge unit shall be run in as straight a line as practicable from the mast or discharge unit to the grounding electrode.
(F) Electrode. The grounding conductor shall be connected as follows:
(1) To the nearest accessible location on the following:
a. The building or structure grounding electrode system as covered in 250.50
b. The grounded interior metal water piping systems, within 1.52 m (5 ft) from its point of entrance to the building, as covered in 250.52
c. The power service accessible means external to the building, as covered in 250.94
d. The metallic power service raceway
e. The service equipment enclosure, or
f. The grounding electrode conductor or the grounding electrode conductor metal enclosures

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

if they won't let you connect to their grounding electrode, I think you are out of luck.

[ October 21, 2005, 08:06 AM: Message edited by: petersonra ]

pierre

Call the Public Service Commission. There is some kind of ruling that allows tenant dwellers to use the building ground and install their own dishes. It is obscure, but it is there - most building owners do not make this info public - the reason is obvious.
I ran into this when I was working for a management company. They never told the tenants it was possible, but let the ones who knew install their antennas.

jreamer

Is the public service commission a local or federal office? I live in Indianapolis.

jreamer

One more question, I am on the ground floor. Is there a way to ground it to my patio? It is a concrete slab setting on the ground. I've heard that can be considered grounded.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

Originally posted by jreamer:
One more question, I am on the ground floor. Is there a way to ground it to my patio? It is a concrete slab setting on the ground. I've heard that can be considered grounded.
I suppose there is some remote chance that they tied a grounding electrode conductor to the rebar in your patio and you could connect to that GEC, but it is not very likely that they did this. You cannot have multiple grounding systems that are not tied together in the same structure.

[ October 21, 2005, 08:53 AM: Message edited by: petersonra ]

jreamer

I didnt think the elctrodes had to be bonded if there is no available electrode to bond to. Since they will not allow me to use theirs can I assume there is no available electrode?

jwelectric

I didnt think the elctrodes had to be bonded if there is no available electrode to bond to. Since they will not allow me to use theirs can I assume there is no available electrode?
No
If the two systems are not bonded together then there is a difference in potential between the dish and the premises wiring. In the event of a high voltage spike such as lighting the two systems will try to find each other and your equipment could end up being that path.

The two systems MUST be tied together.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

it is not "unavailable" just because you are not allowed to connect to it.

access is a different issue than availability.

jreamer

So with a grounding rod it has to be bonded to the building ground as well? If so how far away do two grounds have to be from one another to not need to be bonded?

jwelectric

(E) Run in Straight Line. The grounding conductor for an antenna mast or antenna discharge unit shall be run in as straight a line as practicable from the mast or discharge unit to the grounding electrode.

The two systems bonded together are still one

jreamer

Well, sounds like I dont have any options. I will try to contact the Consumer commision mentioned earlier. If anyone has any other suggestions let me know.

hurk27

By jreamer: Another idea. Does a dish have to be grounded if you use a wireless signal to instead of coaxiall. Best buy sells something like this.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?CategoryID=cat08059&id=1089891320402&skuId=6786873&type=product&ref=06&loc=01
It seems the dish wouldnt be connected to anything then. I know I may be stretching it but I'm getting desperate. The cancellation fee for my dish is $200
This device will not work for a Dish signal as the down link frequency is well above cables and if it did you would still have to power it? Indiana has a law that prevents a leaser from preventing a lessee from installing a dish. This also applies to the grounding of the dish if so required. I will try to look it up.
I'll be back

This is one part:
IC 36-7-4-201.1 Zoning ordinances; satellite receiver antennas and other types of antennas
Sec. 201.1. A local zoning ordinance that addresses a satellite receiver antenna and another type of antenna is void unless the zoning ordinance:
(1) has a reasonable and clearly defined health, safety, or aesthetic objective;
(2) does not:
(A) impose an unreasonable restriction on or prevent the reception of satellite signals by satellite receiver antennas; or
(B) impose costs on the users of satellite receiver antennas that are excessive in comparison to the purchase and installation cost of the satellite receiver antennas; and
(3) does not prohibit installation of a satellite receiver antenna that is not more than two (2) feet in diameter.
As added by P.L.167-1994, SEC.1.
Here's a link to the whole FCC rule (to large to post)
FCC rule
I think the wording would prevent the restriction? But there is a number to call them.
I would seem that they would have to provide a grounding electrode connection if they want you to install it to the requirments of the NEC? But I'm going to dig a little deeper when I have a little more time.

[ October 22, 2005, 02:19 AM: Message edited by: hurk27 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.