grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCFIT

while running EMT between service devices, meter, disconnects ect. do I need a grounding bushing at both ends of my conduit? was under the impression that there to be placed at all connection locations in devices. Cali code and Nevada are different Im currently working out of Las Vegas.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
According to the NEC, a metallic service raceway (one that contains service entrance conductors) only requires bonding at one end. If there are no concentric or eccentric KO's present then you could use a method other than a bonding bushing.

Last edited:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
But note that this is very much dependent on the location of the ground neutral bond.
If the raceway contains wire EGC (or serves as the EGC?), then the condition of only carrying service conductors is not satisfied.

iwire

Staff member
But note that this is very much dependent on the location of the ground neutral bond.
If the raceway contains wire EGC (or serves as the EGC?), then the condition of only carrying service conductors is not satisfied.

If there is an EGC it is not a service raceway.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Also check with your utility...ours requires grounding bushings on both ends of a metallic raceway between the meter and the service equipment.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
while running EMT between service devices, meter, disconnects ect. do I need a grounding bushing at both ends of my conduit?

According to the NEC, a metallic service raceway (one that contains service entrance conductors) only requires bonding at one end. If there are no concentric or eccentric KO's present then you could use a method other than a bonding bushing.
On the line side of the Disconnect, the Service Conductors are protected only by the overcurrent device(s) of the Power Company (PoCo) supply transformer. If a energized service conductor faults to the EMT it is in, the fault current must get large enough to trip that PoCo transformer overcurrent device, so we, as installing electricians, must establish the Effective Ground-Fault Current Path (see Article 100 Definition). The primary (although not only) current path is back through the grounded service conductor, so the single bond to grounded service conductor on one end of the run of EMT is all that is needed.

And, on the LOAD side of the Service Disconnect, the discussion of the bonding is different as it is now the Equipment Grounding Conductor.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Also check with your utility...ours requires grounding bushings on both ends of a metallic raceway between the meter and the service equipment.
Interesting.

I've never experienced a PoCo making such a requirement for the 208 or 240 Volt service conductive raceways. Is it only one PoCo? You probably have worked with several? Yes?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Interesting.

I've never experienced a PoCo making such a requirement for the 208 or 240 Volt service conductive raceways. Is it only one PoCo? You probably have worked with several? Yes?
It was Illinois Power, but there have been an number mergers and now it is Ameren. I just looked at their latest rules and they now say grounding as required by the NEC.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
It was Illinois Power, but there have been an number mergers and now it is Ameren. I just looked at their latest rules and they now say grounding as required by the NEC.
Thanks Don. Illinois Power is another example of how diverse the local PoCo rules can be.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Thanks Don. Illinois Power is another example of how diverse the local PoCo rules can be.
Yes, our city had to fight with them to accept the concrete encased electrode. They were insisting that even with the concrete encased electrode that the contractor had to provide two driven rods. After some discussions they agreed to hook-up any service that had our city inspector's approved tag on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.