Hair Salon in a Residence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. Any insight into which way these things usually go? I'm really trying to get a realistic idea of what this would cost me to do, but I'm not sure which standards I would be held to. Our basement is unfinished, so it's open to improvement quite easily at this time.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Pretty sure it would still be a residence. Zoning would probably take issue otherwise.

It would not effect the wiring, you're still dealing with a Type V structure, so NM would be permitted. You would have to comply with 210.52 and 210.8 as applicable, however.

Welcome to the forum. :cool:

kwired

Electron manager
Pretty sure it would still be a residence. Zoning would probably take issue otherwise.

It would not effect the wiring, you're still dealing with a Type V structure, so NM would be permitted. You would have to comply with 210.52 and 210.8 as applicable, however.

I have to agree, just because it is in a residence doesn't mean it would change how the NEC applies. Zoning or other local laws could be impacted though.

growler

It is possible to open a business in part of a residence in some areas and do so legally. If you can get it approved. If it's not zoned for it you can't get a business license so you are illegal from the very sart.

If this is a legal business with a legal business license and address then it could be considered commercial. You can use Romex with no problem and set things up like a normal hair salon.

If you can set it up as a commercial business then emergency lighting and exits signs are required. You get into the ADA requirements for say handicap access ramps and receptacle height.

mgookin

If someone wished to transform their basement into a professional hair salon, what classification would that be? Commercial or dwelling?

You say "professional hair salon" which implies open to the public and possibly even with employees.
I spent 15 years in a building department solving these puzzles every day. Here's my take.

Your biggest issue is vertical accessibility. If you are open to the public, you have to comply with ADA.
You'll also need ADA restroom and an accessible route from the salon to the public way (street).
Occupancy separation will be required. Probably one hour but your local building code will specify.
Get a good Mechanical consultant. I believe your fans will be explosion proof if you're doing nails, acetone, etc.
You might need a parking lot plus handicap parking.
You'll have to be able to have ingress/egress without passing through the residence.
Your electric design will be the last concern (no offense to all the sparkies around here)
It will certainly be commercial.
If it were around here they'd even make you pay impact fees and install landscape buffers.

Or do it illegally (are we allowed to say that on here?) without zoning and without permits and set your wife up a single station down there with good mechanical ventilation, plenty of receptacles, commercial sink & chair, mirrors on the walls, etc.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Ouch!

Ouch!

Just thinking about this makes my brain hurt. Here in NJ very few residential properties are going to be zoned for dual use. So, your first trip here is to the zoning board where you'll have to show a "hardship" in order to establish grounds for the variance. Assuming you clear that hurdle, the property is going to be considered a multiple occupancy struture, B/R3. Now you have to consider the fire separation between the basement and the residence and somehow get to 2 hours or otherwise the building department may not approve your plans even with zoning approval. Now add all the stuff mgookin mentioned. Is it possible to consider the addition of a small separate structure for the salon?

Now if the residence is in an unincorporated area you may have more luck since there may not even be a zoning or building department in the picture, but that just won't happen in NJ.

kwired

Electron manager
Does all the same apply if someone wants to open an accounting business that they operate from their home?

If clients do not come to your place of business you may not have as many problems, but if they do come there you still have a lot of the same potential issues, yet we see a lot of small businesses run from someones home - it is the American dream. It is exactly what I do, but I usually go to the client instead of them coming to me. Sometimes they do bring smaller items to me to repair them though, or stop by to review plans or make payments, etc.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
ADA does not always apply just because it is a commercial establishment. It usually does, but there are some things you can do to avoid it if your designer is clever and knows the actual rules.

Some places do not like home based businesses and go to great lengths to make them very hard to do. In some places it is even illegal to have an office one works out of at home. Other places are more lenient.

Other posters have mentioned some of the typical rules. You really need to find out what the actual rules and the actual practices in your area are. Many places just do not care about these kind of small businesses, and even actively encourage them by not enforcing the rules they could if they wanted to.

mgookin

Does all the same apply if someone wants to open an accounting business that they operate from their home?

If clients do not come to your place of business you may not have as many problems, but if they do come there you still have a lot of the same potential issues, yet we see a lot of small businesses run from someones home - it is the American dream. It is exactly what I do, but I usually go to the client instead of them coming to me. Sometimes they do bring smaller items to me to repair them though, or stop by to review plans or make payments, etc.

The way we did home based business when I worked for the city was an attorney, accountant, etc. who needs a business license can do so out of their home and have up to one employee with no general public visiting the business location. If you have the public coming, you are commercial.

I'm sure it's different everywhere. Many places don't even have a building department or zoning. It's always local.

kwired

Electron manager
The way we did home based business when I worked for the city was an attorney, accountant, etc. who needs a business license can do so out of their home and have up to one employee with no general public visiting the business location. If you have the public coming, you are commercial.

I'm sure it's different everywhere. Many places don't even have a building department or zoning. It's always local.

And no business ever has a client or a vendor of any kind appear at the place of business for any reason even if it rarely happens right? But IRS or State Department of Revenue, Department of Labor, OSHA, and others are able to come anytime they want:(

growler

Yes and if the home is located in a sub division they may have a "covenant" that will prohibit the running of any sort of business. Having nothing to do with the local authorities but a binding agreement that was signed when they purchased the property.

growler

And will probably require two exits, which most basements don't have.

I don't have a new life safety code book, mine is getting really old but I think the old one allowed 75 ft. from the first entrance before a second exit was required.

This is where the permitting and plans approval phase comes into play.

Status
Not open for further replies.