Hairnets in a HRC 0 situation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work in the dairy industry and we are required to ware hairnets and beardnets (spunbound nonwoven). Most of the production equipment is HRC 0. The electricians do open the cabinets to troubleshoot with meters but any work is performed in a nonenergized state. NFPA 70E 130.C.3 does discuss hairnets but not the HRC where they must be arc rated. In most other situations 70E is very clear in what PPE is required at what HRC level but vague enough here as to pose this question. Does one have to wear an arc rated hairnet and/or beardnet in an HRC0 situation?

To further complicate things we also have maintenance technicians that have to access electrical enclosures on the lines to troubleshoot pneumatic valves that are in the electrical enclosures. Everyone has had arc flash and electrical safety training and the maintenance technicians are limited to entry in HRC0 enclosures only.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

zog

I work in the dairy industry and we are required to ware hairnets and beardnets (spunbound nonwoven). Most of the production equipment is HRC 0. The electricians do open the cabinets to troubleshoot with meters but any work is performed in a nonenergized state. NFPA 70E 130.C.3 does discuss hairnets but not the HRC where they must be arc rated. In most other situations 70E is very clear in what PPE is required at what HRC level but vague enough here as to pose this question. Does one have to wear an arc rated hairnet and/or beardnet in an HRC0 situation?

To further complicate things we also have maintenance technicians that have to access electrical enclosures on the lines to troubleshoot pneumatic valves that are in the electrical enclosures. Everyone has had arc flash and electrical safety training and the maintenance technicians are limited to entry in HRC0 enclosures only.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Why not just use arc rated hairnets?
http://www.arcstore.com/hair-nets.php

wbdvt

Occupation
Electrical Engineer, PE
I have both hair and beard nets for facilities that require nets. They are made by Oberon Company and are rated at 2.7 cal/cm^2.

Note: I have no association with Oberon other than using some of their stuff.

kwired

Electron manager
You still have to protect the rest of your face:angel:

Hairnets/beardnets are for product protection. If it is suspected that product has been compromised, that particular portion of product can be discarded, or otherwise dealt with by any suitable procedures. If opening enclosures or doing other work around exposed product there is still a chance of product contamination that needs to be handled in a similar manner.

I've worked in dairy plants myself, sometimes when a machine breaks down while in production you are going to have conditions that will contaminate the product, you have to deal with each case individually. Usually you will either find a way to remove product if possible first, then clean the area before reintroducing product, or you may be able to use methods of shielding the product in some instances.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
That is correct except that the OP was referring to an HRC 0 (<1.2 cal/cm^2) situation which does not require a balaclava or faceshield.
It doesn't require a hairnet or beardnet either does it? It also doesn't prohibit them - I think, or do they need to still be FR rated if they are used? Is other clothing required to be FR at this level? Yet no covering at all is acceptable? I am no expert in this area but makes no sense to me that no covering at all is permitted but if covered it must be FR.

Timbert

It doesn't require a hairnet or beardnet either does it? It also doesn't prohibit them - I think, or do they need to still be FR rated if they are used? Is other clothing required to be FR at this level? Yet no covering at all is acceptable? I am no expert in this area but makes no sense to me that no covering at all is permitted but if covered it must be FR.
It can be, if the covering is more dangerous than bare skin. Natural fibers are required because they tend to self-extinguish when removed from a source of heat, so they don't make the damage worse. Synthetic materials can ignite and can also melt and cause more severe burns than would otherwise result.

I would argue that nylon or polypropylene hair nets would not be allowable because they fail to meet the requirement of "Non-melting or Untreated Natural Fiber" protective clothing for HRC 0.

Found the reference I was looking for: NFPA 70E 130.7(c)(12) states "Clothing and other apparel (such as hard hat liners and hair nets) made from materials that do meet the requirements of 130.7(c)(11) regarding melting, or made from materials that do not meet the flammability requirements shall not be permitted to be worn."

Last edited:

Timbert

I am think that there may be a "not" missing from your quote on the melting side. :)

Methinks you're missing an "ing" in that sentence.:)

I see your point, but the quote is reproduced as written. The missing context is that 130.7(c)(11) says "Clothing consisting of fabrics...made from flammable synthetic materials that melt at temperatures below 315?C (600?F)...shall not be used."

Bottom line: For HRC 0, you shall wear long sleeve shirt and pants made from natural fibers and you shall not wear anything that melts at temperatures below 315?C.

For CheeseSarge, if you don't know anything about the flammability or melting (or non-melting) characteristics of the 'standard' hair net, I would wear an arc-rated one, even though it isn't required. At least you know that an arc-rated hair net won't melt if the un-thinkable happens.

Thank you for all of your thoughts and insights. I am checking on the melting temperature of the hairnets that we use. I doubt that it is over the specified 600F. I am also checking with the head of quality control to see if they would allow the affected personal to change from the spunbound hairnets to the FR hairnets on the floor. Some other local food plants have this policy. At this time to change the electrician or maintenance person has to move out of the production area, change hairnets, reenter the production area, wash hands then proceed to do the work. The HR hairnets that we have tested are very warm compared to the spunbound units that we currently use. To keep them clean they would have to be taken home and washed regularly. Each person would have to have a spare in the event of leaving the one being cleaned at home. If I just had to deal with the 16 electricians the cost in time would be manageable. I also have to deal with 60 maintenance people that have to open and service pneumatic control valves are located in the same enclosures.

The FR clothes for an HRC0 are standard and not burdensome in either time or comfort. The FR hairnets are a burden in either time to put them on or the comfort in wearing them all the time. I was leaning to using the HR hairnets before I posted and now after reading your comments I am even more positive this is the correct course.

Status
Not open for further replies.