Heated floor ohms is off the chart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
A heated floor cable has 25 - 58 ohms rating on it. The only reading I get is when I set my digital meter up to 2 M mode. (reading 215 in the 2 M mode) This means a break under the tile, right ?
The tile layer had one of those beepers connected for a couple of weeks with no sounds, then it started beeping last week and the customer asked me to come and check it. He said he didn't think anyone had driven any nails etc. Thank you

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
A heated floor cable has 25 - 58 ohms rating on it. The only reading I get is when I set my digital meter up to 2 M mode. (reading 215 in the 2 M mode) This means a break under the tile, right ?
The tile layer had one of those beepers connected for a couple of weeks with no sounds, then it started beeping last week and the customer asked me to come and check it. He said he didn't think anyone had driven any nails etc. Thank you

Not knowing what your meter range is, would that be 215k or 215?

Jon456

Who installed the cable? Did the installer meter the cable before and after the installation (before the tile guy came) and record the resistance readings?

The "LoudMouth" is a handy tool to warn of any damage, but it's not a substitute for proper diagnostic metering and record keeping.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
We've long ago filed tile heat under high liablity/low profit work we don't want. :happyno: We'll bring the power to it, but the purchase/install/warranty is 'by others':happyyes:....~RJ~

kwired

Electron manager
I would recommend not using the 2m setting, (Mega Ohms). Use regular Ohms setting starting with the lowest setting.
:thumbsup:

If you need that high of a sensitivity range to detect any kind of continuity, resistance is definitely too high for "normal" for this application.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I would recommend not using the 2m setting, (Mega Ohms). Use regular Ohms setting starting with the lowest setting.

In other words learn to use an ohm meter! And Tony, there is no such thing as "regular ohms" either!

And the next guy who says that they are ohming something out is gonna die! You are measuring the resistance!

-Hal

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
In other words learn to use an ohm meter! And Tony, there is no such thing as "regular ohms" either!

And the next guy who says that they are ohming something out is gonna die! You are measuring the resistance!

-Hal
"Regular ohms" range setting is "auto range" on many digital meters;)

Maybe 2K on most analog meters.

Basically the optimal setting to read anything rounded off to nearest full Ohm yet not really high resistances either.

Just what most people may call normal and no industry standard here.

Status
Not open for further replies.