Help understanding PVC expansion fittings

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Keep in mind the temperature when you install it. If it's hot, it'll be mostly shorter; if it's cold, it'll be mostly longer.

kwired

Electron manager
Had to read that twice. ;) I think you meant if its hot on the install then it will get shorter when cold.
If you read instructions for the expansion fitting they usually mention this, you need to set the thing at installation according to what installation temperature is. Also if total movement of the run is more than the length of the expansion fitting then you need multiple expansion fittings in the run.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
If you read instructions for the expansion fitting they usually mention this, you need to set the thing at installation according to what installation temperature is. Also if total movement of the run is more than the length of the expansion fitting then you need multiple expansion fittings in the run.
Which can cause some problems equalizing the motion over both expansion couplings unless you tie down the center point if the run.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
But the run doesn’t get longer - that’s what the expansion joint is for.
Picture a straight run between two fixed boxes. This distance between boxes never changes. As the conduit expands, the expansion joint “absorbs” the increase in pipe length!
Not true when one purpose for the expansion joint is to accommodate motion of one or both termination boxes.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.