Helpful Tip for Panel Covers

Status
Not open for further replies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
It was brought up at my last code changes class by the instructor. He said if you look at the product listing that you will find out that it is not suitable for that use even though that is the purpose it is marketed for.
Don

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
OSHA appears to accept them for limited use with some restrictions. Originally they said that you could not use them. They now say that they can be used under specific conditions.
Don

Dennis Alwon said:
I must admit that as I began to read your post I was expecting the response I gave. I was surprised when you gave an Okay. :wink:

There are times when I do try to think about what goes on in the field in regards to installations and common practices - the softer side of me.
I will also say that after this past week of being tossed around some, that I was also thinking of being a little softer in my approach to answers...maybe I just need to post less and lurk more.

brian john

Now here's the rub, all those meds for a gym rat, that does not smoke, drink or eat meat...Doctor laughed as he was grabbing the defibrillator. Yeah and the ribbing I have taken since that day from friends....

iwire

Staff member
brian john said:
Now here's the rub, all those meds for a gym rat, that does not smoke, drink or eat meat...

Not exactly a ringing endorsement for the healthy lifestyle.

Is it stress related? (I know that is kind of personal, feel free to ignore it)

billk554

someone was telling me about a magetic cover for panels that had to be opened and closed alot. just slap on the magnetic strip i guess. but when the job is done use the screws

hivoltage

Any type of a cover that is installed for safety such as a guard must use a fastener that requires a tool for removal, wingnuts are a definate no-no.

I would bet a paycheck that this would apply to an electrical panel unless it is behind secure and locked doors.

480sparky

OK, maybe I didn't make it clear....

I intended this to be a method to be used during the construction phase of a building... commercial & industrial mostly.

Once you are done in the panel, you remove these and install the cover with the factory-supplied fasteners.

If you are concerned about whether or not this method is 'listed' for the purpose, I only use it as a temporary method. If you want to start citing violations, how about all the unfinished conduit runs, unterminated wires and open boxes on every job site?

Status
Not open for further replies.