Holy Moly big $$ for wire reducers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electron_Sam78

I just priced a T&B reducing butt splice for 4/0 to 1/0 and it was $120 ea with a min order of a 10 pack!! :confused::mad:

Are they that expensive elsewere or by different manufacturers? I about fell on the floor. I was expecting 12 bucks max

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
With a dieless, hydraulic crimp tool and connectors from the same manufacturer, many of the standard butt splices are listed as "range taking". That is you are permitted to use a smaller conductor in a standard butt splice. I think many are listed for up to 4 wire sizes smaller than the maximum permitted size. T&B's dieless "smart" crimp tools are listed for range taking with their connectors. See page 81 of this document. A standard 4/0 connector can be used with #2 through 4/0 conductors.

MarkyMarkNC

That doesn't sound right to me at all. I would check with another supply house if I were you.

Did you price the NSI ones? If I recall, they will waive minimum requirements if you quick ship the items.

Last edited:

e57

As for the cost - it is supply and demand - thats where they get ya.... Find another simular rated product for less than what the maximum they can charge - the price will drop to that companies price. If another product doesn't exist - then they can charge whatever they like. But - that said - where did you get the price from???? What you pay one place is not the REAL price - they may have a list of prices they publish for the government to pay, but offer a different price to people with brains enough to ask... :roll: Call your supply house - negotiate... ;)

growler

I just priced a T&B reducing butt splice for 4/0 to 1/0 and it was $120 ea with a min order of a 10 pack!! :confused::mad:

Are they that expensive elsewere or by different manufacturers? I about fell on the floor. I was expecting 12 bucks max

I may be wrong ( it's happened before) but when they give out an ea. price that is for the smallest unit that an item is sold in. If the smallest unit these splices are sold in is a 10 pack then the $120 would be for a packet of splices or 10 splices. That would still be $12 ea. but it sounds a lot better than $120 ea. The bad thing if you only need three or four and have to buy a pack of ten.

e57

I may be wrong ( it's happened before) but when they give out an ea. price that is for the smallest unit that an item is sold in. If the smallest unit these splices are sold in is a 10 pack then the $120 would be for a packet of splices or 10 splices. That would still be $12 ea. but it sounds a lot better than $120 ea. The bad thing if you only need three or four and have to buy a pack of ten.
If that were the case - the unit of issue would not be "ea." it would be 'bx, pk, dz, cs, gr etc.' "ea." would mean EACH - unless it said "ea./pk" meaning a multiple U/I

Sooo Uh.... What are these anyway? Model number?

electricmanscott

um because it's a little piece of machined copper

Um, well that makes sense. :roll: Um, I thought maybe you had an actual legitimate reason to think the price was to high but um, I obviously was wrong.

Um, I bet when you go price a job you have customers that say "I figured it should only cost xx"

Um, Do you let them tell you what they are paying?

macmikeman

J-box and splice to smaller conductors just like I said earlier or beat yourself silly looking for answers... Good part is now you can run a smaller conduit into the panel from the j-box.

Status
Not open for further replies.