Home inspection report item.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I’ve seen several times on Siemens loadcenters where the jumper bar was removed at the bottom and they used one side for the neutrals, and the other side for the grounds and did not install the bond strap on the “converted” ground bar.

growler

I’ve seen several times on Siemens loadcenters where the jumper bar was removed at the bottom and they used one side for the neutrals, and the other side for the grounds and did not install the bond strap on the “converted” ground bar.

They even made a non-conductive bar to replace the removed jumper bar for this very situation. I think they said it was needed for stability.

I think it was just a cheap to buy a ground bar.

Just a bit of trivia.

norcal

It has always irked me when someone is so stingy that they won't spend a few bucks for a ground bar kit, so they get/ got rid of the split neutral on ITE- Siemens, & GE loadcenters and then fail to bond the former neutral bar, now ground bar to the enclosure, always wondered if that was a allowable modification of listed equipment.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I don't think they necessarily disagree that they are not required, just that some cases a jumper may be required. There certainly isn't any wording that says if required it must be at the water heater either. I (and possibly the CMP) agree with what you intended but maybe not how you worded it. Personally I am fine with what it is, other than the fact that some don't want to read it for what it says.

The language was chosen to get the CMP to comment either way, it's required at the HWH or it isn't, they failed miserably. :)

kwired

Electron manager
The language was chosen to get the CMP to comment either way, it's required at the HWH or it isn't, they failed miserably. :)

But wording we have had doesn't require it.

Some AHJ's want to read it that way. I think reason why is they don't want to have to search for any bond between hot and cold so they just want a jumper at the WH in all cases and only have to look at one place for that bond.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
With many lower-cost faucet assemblies being composed mainly of plastic, including the threaded fitting for the water connections, I think it would be possible to have absolutely zero hot-to-cold bonds in an entire house!

retirede

With many lower-cost faucet assemblies being composed mainly of plastic, including the threaded fitting for the water connections, I think it would be possible to have absolutely zero hot-to-cold bonds in an entire house!

I’ve never seen a non-metallic tub or shower valve body. Not saying they don’t exist....but..

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
It has always irked me when someone is so stingy that they won't spend a few bucks for a ground bar kit, so they get/ got rid of the split neutral on ITE- Siemens, & GE loadcenters and then fail to bond the former neutral bar, now ground bar to the enclosure, always wondered if that was a allowable modification of listed equipment.

Apparently it is allowable because Siemens makes a plastic replacement part for the metal one removed. Found that out when I went behind someone that failed their inspection, the inspector requested it be installed to maintain the UL listing.

MAC702

I'm installing a Moen Positemp in my office right now. Says made in USA on the box.

I'd like to see this Chinese nonmetallic shower valve. Everything I see on Amazon is brass.

norcal

I’ve only used Delta and Moen. They were always brass. No idea where made, but China would not be out of the question.

Not sure how much of Delta's product line is ChiCom, but a lot of the big box offering of theirs is ChiCom, the shower valve I used when my rental bathroom was gutted is ChiCom.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Our washington state code rules dont require a jumper if hot anc cold are bonded by a mixing valve. Our code rules fo a good job of having clear rules where the nec is fuzzy. And a lot of those rules have made it into the NEC

kwired

Electron manager
I'm installing a Moen Positemp in my office right now. Says made in USA on the box.

I had a brother in law stationed in Korea in the military in mid-late 90's. He sent home video tape with him walking around in nearby community. He happened to take somewhat of a tour of a place that was making fishing poles while taping. At end of the assembly line he happened to grab a finished product and supposedly read out loud information on a tag/label - "Wal-Mart, made in USA" then followed up with "imagine that".

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
At end of the assembly line he happened to grab a finished product and supposedly read out loud information on a tag/label - "Wal-Mart, made in USA" then followed up with "imagine that".
So, they do import stickers. :giggle:

Status
Not open for further replies.