Home Inspectors NFPA 70e

Status
Not open for further replies.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Bob no discussion on HI"s come on..

We have quoted the laws and by allowing the HI to do electrical inspections they are in violation of the law. You must be a licensed electrician to do inspections and must beable to be bonded and licensed as an electrical contractor. It is not a debate it is fact.

Do I need to quote the references again..

Bob's comment was for me and I removed the additional information because YES it was directed toward HI's. Not that I was made to remove it, just because it was politely implied.

PS Licensed Electricians are NOT allowed to do those inspections in Ohio.
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/3783

cschmid

Ah someone else who feels like I do about HI's..

Here in Mn you need to be licensed by the state as a electrical contractor and/or be employed by an electrical contractor as an electrician and the electrical contractor has to have an inspection contract with the state of MN. Which is in it self another issue.

I guess to give up business to an unlicensed and unqualified HI contractor seems foolish to me. So why do we allow and promote a lose in revenue if it was the handyman doing it everyone would be up in arms..seems kind of ironic does it not.

Ah someone else who feels like I do about HI's..

Here in Mn you need to be licensed by the state as a electrical contractor and/or be employed by an electrical contractor as an electrician and the electrical contractor has to have an inspection contract with the state of MN. Which is in it self another issue.

I guess to give up business to an unlicensed and unqualified HI contractor seems foolish to me. So why do we allow and promote a lose in revenue if it was the handyman doing it everyone would be up in arms..seems kind of ironic does it not.

I kinda think the same way. Arc flash , is arc flash, and electricity doesnt know or care if you are an inspector of just joe handyman, when it happens it happens.

It just seems like a double standard that 'licensed' electricians in my area if they work for an employer they would have to have safety gear on when they open a hot panel. But HI do not, and some of them really dont know what they are looking at, one HI was reported to have cited a gfci for trippin when he used his 'plug tester' even though the outlet had a sticker on it that said, 'no equipment ground'. :(

iwire

Staff member
I guess to give up business to an unlicensed and unqualified HI contractor seems foolish to me.

In many areas there are licensed home inspectors, many HIs are in fact qualified.

If the HIs in your area are breaking the law that is something to take up with your local enforcement people.

Where I am here in MA I am not legally qualified to perform a home inspection. I could inspect the electrical but no more.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Can't inspect for compliance with Code, for money, in Ohio without the a license as an inspector. Some EC's are ESI's.

This is true. As an EC I could hire someone and have them performing electric today. EC's monitor the work. So this is one reason that being certified is nesessary.

Jim W in Tampa

I see a problem even if the HI is qualified. The property he is inspecting is likely not even owned by the person that hired him. The owner could and should demand to see proof of insurance in case the HI gets hurts or causes damage to the property. As far as what license is required if any is a state and local issue. I rather dought a HI is licensed to open any panels or even remove a plate cover as both are doing electrical work. At same time i would question the value of the HI if he did not open the panel.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Can't inspect for compliance with Code, for money, in Ohio without the a license as an inspector. Some EC's are ESI's.

If you remove the cover and look inside for 'defects' that is doing a code inspection. Example I see all the time "2 conductors under a lug". We all know that this has changed.

This is citing code 'if' it was a defect. "for money". Try to convince a judge that you were inspecting for free.

I think some here are not seeing home inspections for what they are.
First, remember each state has their own requirements and licensing agreements for home inspectors. Home inspectors inspect all aspects of the home, not just the electrical.
For the states that do require licensing of the home inspector, they have tests. The testing procedures are generally no different than that of electrical, once one qualifies to take the test and passes, he/she is then licensed.

In regards to opening equipment of any kind, they are permitted to do so.
In regards to insurance, if they do not have insurance, at least the minimum required, they should not be working, same as licensed electricians.
As has been mentioned, there are good and bad HIs, just as in any other trade/industry.

fishin' electrician

CT

CT

I found this quite interesting when I came across it a while back. Connecticut Law actually requires it's licensed Home Inspectors to open up the panel.

:roll:
Connecticut General Statutes

Sec. 20-491-7. Electrical system

(a) The inspector shall inspect the service drop; the service entrance conductors, cables, and raceways; the service equipment and main disconnects; the service grounding; the interior components of service panels and sub panels; the conductors; the overcurrent protection devices; a representative number of installed lighting fixtures, switches, and receptacles; and the ground fault circuit interrupters.

richxtlc

OSHA applies more to the owner then to the employees. OSHA rarely cites an employee for a violation. However, OSHA does not apply to companies with less then 8 employees or to individual homeowners.
Sorry, made a mistake with the 8, it's the minimum number of employees that require an employer for reporting purposes.

cschmid

I am still trying to figure out why anyone needs an home inspector unless you are buying property blind..then you are an investor and normally doing rental units. Houses are as is what part of as is do es a buyer not understand. the seller has to sign all kinds of paper assureing that cetain aspects are in place. So why the HI???

Status
Not open for further replies.