Homeline Breaker Compatabilty

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecimark

Does anyone know if square-d has a compatabilty list for homeline breakers, or have they stuck to just allowing them on homeline panels. ?

Mark

mdshunk

Square D only rates the HOM breakers for HOM panels. They've also done something to the buss such that the other popular 1" breakers will not fit, even many of the classified replacement breakers. I think it is Milbank (don't quote me on that, but I think it's them) that is making a meter-main that will take HOM breakers.

ecimark

Thanks, I dont understand why they do not go to the expense of having there breakers approved to use on other panels? or maybe they have and they were not approved!

Mark;)

tallguy

ecimark said:
Thanks, I dont understand why they do not go to the expense of having there breakers approved to use on other panels? or maybe they have and they were not approved!

Mark;)

I don't believe it is a matter of expense... They are simply a different design in terms of the interface to the bus. If they made theirs compatible with others (say Murray), then the converse would be true as well (Murray would fit in SquareD), thus destroying their value proposition -- namely that you have an integrated panel/cb system that has superior engineering to the others.

It's just good business strategy.

Personally, I love SquareD -- particularly the VisiTrip feature. I only use QO for anything new I'm putting in.

It is not just being listed through Sqd to be approved for use in other panels but the other panels state on there listing as well that using other type breakers in there equipment will void the listing & waranty of there equipment.

mdshunk

John Deere Man said:
It is not just being listed through Sqd to be approved for use in other panels but the other panels state on there listing as well that using other type breakers in there equipment will void the listing & waranty of there equipment.
NO, no.... It will not void the listing, but it may void the warranty. After all, the same UL that lists the panels also lists classified replacement breakers that fit that same panel. Not talking about HOM here, but in general.

peter d

I like the fact that Square D panels can't be stuffed full of other junk.

After demoing a circuit (live of course :rolleyes:) and shorting it out, with nothing more than a small arc and the slightest burn mark in my pliers, I was sold on the effectiveness of QO breakers.

stickboy1375

peter d said:
I like the fact that Square D panels can't be stuffed full of other junk.

After demoing a circuit (live of course :rolleyes:) and shorting it out, with nothing more than a small arc and the slightest burn mark in my pliers, I was sold on the effectiveness of QO breakers.

Yeh, but sometimes its nice not having to walk all the way to the basement to reset a breaker after shorting it out by mistake...:roll:

Cavie

Back when I was in business, Sq D shipped a listing label with thier breakers that you would install in anybodys panel to make them complient. Are they still doing this? As I remember, Homeline breakers would fit anybodys panels but nobody else would interchange. The busses were all the sme, the foot attachment was different.

kbsparky

The Homeline breakers are made to fit in most "interchangeable" panels, such as GE, Bryant, Murray, ITE, etc.

However, Square D added a small protrusion on their bus bars to reject those other breakers from being installed in the Homeline panels. :mad:

I've seen instances where that nub was clipped off and an off-brand breaker installed.....:roll:

ITE now makes their breakers with a recessed cavity to allow their breakers to be used in the Homeline panels. Cutler-Hammer also makes a type CL breaker that is classified for use in other panels, including the Homeline.

There are some generic panels out there that include Homeline on their list of acceptable breakers. I think some pool panels fall under this type, with time clocks and a load center in the same enclosure.

kbsparky

Cavie said:
Back when I was in business, Sq D shipped a listing label with thier breakers that you would install in anybodys panel to make them complient. ...

I'd like to get a hold of one of those labels. Had to make a special trip to replace a breaker in a panel when an inspector-critter noticed a Homeline breaker installed in a Cutler-Hammer BR panel. That label would have made a difference.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
From the Square D website:
Question
Are Homeline breakers (HOM prefix) UL listed for use in a CHALLENGER or any other competitive load centers?

Answer
No. Homeline circuit breaker are only UL listed for use in Square D HOMELINE load centers.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I once got some Homeline breakers that didn't even fit in an old Homeline panel.

Though I've never had or heard of any problems with them, I was not real impressed.

TOOL_5150

tallguy said:
Personally, I love SquareD -- particularly the VisiTrip feature. I only use QO for anything new I'm putting in.

I completly agree with you! I will be upgrading a 16/32 Square D QO to a 40/40 100A Main breaker panel in the next week or so. Those cans are huge though - if I remember right they are 33" tall.

~Matt

iwire

Staff member
jim dungar said:
From the Square D website:
Question
Are Homeline breakers (HOM prefix) UL listed for use in a CHALLENGER or any other competitive load centers?

Answer
No. Homeline circuit breaker are only UL listed for use in Square D HOMELINE load centers.

Jim, as I understand it no breaker at all is 'listed' for use in other manufacturers panels.

Some breakers are UL 'Classified' for use in other manufacturers panels.

So I wonder if Square Ds answer is slightly misleading? :confused:

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
iwire said:
Jim, as I understand it no breaker at all is 'listed' for use in other manufacturers panels.

Some breakers are UL 'Classified' for use in other manufacturers panels.

So I wonder if Square Ds answer is slightly misleading? :confused:

I believe that Square D is actually saying, do not use HOM breakers in anything but a HomeLine panel.

So regardless of "semantics" between listing and classifying, the breaker manufacturer is telling you not to do it.

Inspectorcliff

confession

confession

I did an inspection on a home (a final) and discovered that there was a G.E. breaker in the HOM panel. I informed the R.E.C. (registered electrical contractor) that this was a listing and labeling error as per 110.3 of the 2005 N.E.C. He informed me that the breaker would work in the panel. I said, I agree, but it is not listed for it. So, he retrieved the box it came in and the instruction sheet and promptly showed me where it was listed for that panel and several others. (Some one hand me a towel, I feel like I have egg on my face.) Live and learn.;)

mdshunk

cowboyjwc said:
That's one great reason for contractors to be on site and have all of the information they need to show us what they did is correct.
Sorta like guilty until proven innocent? If we have to keep up to date on products, so do you. Sorry, but I strongly disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.