Hooking up solar line side of main disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

highvolts582

Ok I am hooking up a Solar job doing a line tap on the line side of a main disconnect. I have a 4/0 225 amp copper feed (not parallel) that I need to Tie in to Line the line side of a 400 amp service disconnect. Feeding this disconnect is 2 Parallel 4/0 conductors. I want to put a triple bug on my 4/0 and jump off with 2- 1/0 parallel conductors and use bite-down connectors to attach these parallel conductors to the 4/0 parallel conductors feeding this disconnect. it will save me a disconnect reconnect not hold up job for 3 weeks and basically save my life.

Thanks,
Mike

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If you're talking about products that can be connected live (but never with load on the tap) like the Ilsco Kup-l-tap, I've used them and like them. Some others here seem to have issues with connecting them live, but that's what they're designed for. Click pic:

highvolts582

Those are what I may be planning on using I use em all the time to line tap solar. Just was wondering if there were any violations about doing it with parallel conductors. The feeders I am trying to connect are not parallel so I was going to put a triple bug on the feeders come out parallel and connect to the existing parallel all in side a big 400 amp outdoor disconnect.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You can use a pair of taps per phase, after creating a Y in each feeder conductor using more common means.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Make sure you talk to the power company. Ours requires an outside disconnect next to the meter for any power production system that operates in parallel with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.