Hospital Grade MC

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If you're referring to the #10 aluminum bonding conductor you can just cut it off where it exits the cable.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The purpose of a bonding strip is to "short" the turn-to-turn spiral of the metallic wrap, not to be an end-to-end conductor.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Technically speaking, the bonding wire doesn't even have to be grounded to function, but it won't be asked to function unless a fault current tries to follow it, which won't happen unless it is grounded via the sheath and its connectors.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I wonder why so many electricians are reluctant to just cut the wire off at the armor? I've seen guys tie them on to the EGC bus in panels, attach them with ground screws to metal boxes, connect them to devices, etc. The reason you use this type of cable is so that you do not have to terminate any EGC's which saves a ton of labor cost.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The cable with the # 10 alum bond is not Hospital grade is it? Per the OP
It is MCAP and is listed for healthcare use. It is an alternative to the old hospital grade AC.

Roger

kwired

Electron manager
I wonder why so many electricians are reluctant to just cut the wire off at the armor? I've seen guys tie them on to the EGC bus in panels, attach them with ground screws to metal boxes, connect them to devices, etc. The reason you use this type of cable is so that you do not have to terminate any EGC's which saves a ton of labor cost.
Except OP was asking about health care cable, which will also have a green conductor that will need to be terminated ;)

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
He says it is in both the thread title and the OP. I believe that means the sheath qualifies as an EGC along with the enclosed redundant insulated green conductor.

GerryB

I have seen MC cable with a # 10 Aluminum bond wire and 2 insulated conductors. The # 10 was instead of having an insulated green #12. I guess it is cheaper but you need a specific connector for it. Never seen Health Care with an insulated green and a #10 Alum.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Never seen Health Care with an insulated green and a #10 Alum.
All healthcare cable will have both, it's the only way a cable assembly can comply with 517.13(A) & (B)

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
For more info for anyone interested click HERE it evens addresses the OP's question.

Roger

GerryB

Have you seen HC cable without a green, or just AC cable?
I have not seen the HC cable in Roger's link with the full sized alum bond wire. I notice it does say to use the listed connector, because of that larger bond wire. I said I have seen MC with no green wire at all and an over sized alum bond. I thought it was MCAP (ap for all purpose). It was used in a retail clothing store. I will have to check if it is called MC or AC.

Status
Not open for further replies.