Hot tub diconnect location

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I was wondering about the location of a Disconnect for a self contained spa tub.

I have seen in other closed threads that disco must be within sight of the spa tub. 608.12. but what is the minimum distance? Some have said no less than 5'. I don't see that in the code. I do see where you may need a emergency shut off in multi-family though. I see where a receptacle outlet cannot be closer than 5'

I see wall switch cannot be located closer then 5' . Does this include a diconnect or breaker?

I do not read anything about 5 foot rule apply to a disconnect.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Is that because a "disconnect" is considered a " wall switch" What if the disco is on a post?
or is there another section of the code that I have not located yet?

Jim W in Tampa

A dico is a switch, Post changes nothing and for safety i would keep it in easy to get at spot. I tend to go overboard on hot tubs but had a niece die because of one. Hot tubs often mean stupid drunk adults and water and electric do not mix.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I understand the interpetation. What I don't get is why the author used the word wall switch. THey could have used the words "anytype of switch disconnect or fuse.

I have seen folks pit a disco behind one of those flip panels. That would certainly be closer than 5' , it would be accesable too.

Jim W in Tampa

I understand the interpetation. What I don't get is why the author used the word wall switch. THey could have used the words "anytype of switch disconnect or fuse.

I have seen folks pit a disco behind one of those flip panels. That would certainly be closer than 5' , it would be accesable too.

Last thing we ever want is for someone to be able to reach anything electrical while in the tub. I believe that is how 5 foot comes to play

jetlag

Not saying disco would have helped her but her hair got caught in drain that was missing cover. If pump could been turned off i think she would had chance. Very sad way for a 12 year old to die.

Sorry to hear, there was a swimming pool at a recreation place when I was a boy that would not make people get out when lowering the water. we would swim down and let our hand suck against drain , one day a young boy got his back against the drain and couldnt escape and drowned

jumper

Not saying disco would have helped her but her hair got caught in drain that was missing cover. If pump could been turned off i think she would had chance. Very sad way for a 12 year old to die.

Jim,

I do not write well, I was trying to say that I can understand your reasoning that things should be done correctly and sometimes beyond minimum, because there is is always a chance.

Your niece's death was probably an avoidable tragedy if the plumbing and electrical codes were followed.

I hope I never face such an ordeal.

Derek

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
680.12 says at least 5' from the pool. So 5' is the minimum distance and the max would be 50'-- In sight from definition.

what version of the code are reffering to. The situation I refer to is under the 2005 code. and at that it was changed from the 2002.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The 2008 nec and it has changed.

680.12 Maintenance Disconnecting Means.
One or more means to simultaneously disconnect all ungrounded conductors shall be provided for all utilization equipment other than lighting. Each means shall be readily accessible and within sight from its equipment and shall be located at least 1.5 m (5 ft) horizontally from the inside walls of a pool, spa, or hot tub unless separated from the open water by a permanently installed barrier that provides a 1.5 m (5 ft) reach path or greater. This horizontal distance is to be measured from the water's edge along the shortest path required to reach the disconnect.

Jim W in Tampa

Actually i don't like the idea of receptacles being allowed that close. A radio could easily get to near the water. Accidents happen when people get careless. NEC simply tries to limit hazards but not all of them can be prevented. There is always a limit as to cost to protect.

Status
Not open for further replies.