Hot tub disconnect inside 5’ from water

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dansos

Hi guys, we are installing power for a hot tub that the people put in a bump in, in the back of house. How the house was built, the hot tub will fit perfectly in the nook. There is only about 20-24” of space from the 3 sides of hot tub and the house. Looking at where to install the disconnect, it looks like it will have to go on the front of the nook so the disconnect will not technically be “within line of sight” of the hot tub. I don’t think we have the space to install the disconnect in back of hot tub and build a separating structure between the two. Any suggestions ????

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
Hi guys, we are installing power for a hot tub that the people put in a bump in, in the back of house. How the house was built, the hot tub will fit perfectly in the nook. There is only about 20-24” of space from the 3 sides of hot tub and the house. Looking at where to install the disconnect, it looks like it will have to go on the front of the nook so the disconnect will not technically be “within line of sight” of the hot tub. I don’t think we have the space to install the disconnect in back of hot tub and build a separating structure between the two. Any suggestions ????

What type of hot tub is it? A stand-alone manufactured UL listed spa?

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician

Ask if going up is acceptable

a means of discconet can be 3 metres now (6'8")

measure both horz & vert to the tub rim

~RJ~

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Ask if going up is acceptable

a means of discconet can be 3 metres now (6'8")

measure both horz & vert to the tub rim

~RJ~

There doesn't appear to be a verical component in the measurement. Code says 5ft horizontally.

NEC 2017 680.13 Maintenance Disconnecting Means. One or more
means to simultaneously disconnect all ungrounded conductors
shall be provided for all utilization equipment other than
lighting. Each means shall be readily accessible and within sight
from its equipment and shall be located at least 1.5 m (5 ft)
horizontally from the inside walls of a pool, spa, fountain, or
hot tub unless separated from the open water by a permanently
installed barrier that provides a 1.5 m (5 ft) reach path or
greater. This horizontal distance shall be measured from the
water's edge along the shortest path required to reach the
disconnect.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

If the nook looks out to a lawn or other open area you could set the disco on a 4x4 pressure treated post five or more feet away. The disco would not have to be mounted very high as long as the area does not flood.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
If the nook looks out to a lawn or other open area you could set the disco on a 4x4 pressure treated post five or more feet away. The disco would not have to be mounted very high as long as the area does not flood.

680 is dizzying. I thought residential manufactured UL listed tubs can use OCPD as the disco?

kwired

Electron manager
680 is dizzying. I thought residential manufactured UL listed tubs can use OCPD as the disco?
680.40 says installations must comply with part I and part IV. Back in part I 680.12 addresses maintenance disconnecting means, and says it must be within sight of the equipment.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
680.40 says installations must comply with part I and part IV. Back in part I 680.12 addresses maintenance disconnecting means, and says it must be within sight of the equipment.

680.12 is rooms & pits. 680.13 in 2017 NEC.
I was perhaps thinking of the emergency shutoff switch, which is not required for the residential hot tub / spa.

I use lever style disco, and it's close and visible to the spa, it serves as both disco and emergency shutoff.

GerryB

I was perhaps thinking of the emergency shutoff switch, which is not required for the residential hot tub / spa.

I use lever style disco, and it's close and visible to the spa, it serves as both disco and emergency shutoff.
Sounds like you can see it from outside the tub as you approach, right? The code (680.12) does not say you have to see it if you are in the tub.

kwired

Electron manager

I'm reading from 2014 for this, 680.12 is in part I and is general information that applies to all swimming pools, spas, fountains, etc.

680.11 addresses rooms and pits but has nothing to do with required disoconnecting means - is about drainage.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
I'm reading from 2014 for this, 680.12 is in part I and is general information that applies to all swimming pools, spas, fountains, etc.

680.11 addresses rooms and pits but has nothing to do with required disoconnecting means - is about drainage.

a section was added to 2017.

Sounds like you can see it from outside the tub as you approach, right? The code (680.12) does not say you have to see it if you are in the tub.
agree.
My spa disco can be seen outside as well as from inside the tub. However, only partially seen while in tub because on my spa the tub cover swings up and one side of the tub view is then blocked by the cover.

But, disco's, emergency switches, are typically not a goto item for infrequent users of the tub. Under stress (kid stuck to strainer under water) others will likely forget about the nearby disco/switch.

I just see having a close-by disco that can be used as a fast off switch (lever disco vs covered blade, etc) is better safety.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.