Hot tub hookup

Status
Not open for further replies.

JudeSaint

I know that hot tubs are generally not considered to be a continuous load. However can situations ever change that? ... Where i live it gets pretty cold during winter time and the hot tub is outside. I would assume that it is going to be running a lot to maintain a decent tempreture. Would situations like this ever require you to use the 125% calculation?

JudeSaint

The manufacturer's nameplate is what is used. I assume they have 125% built in

BTW, welcome to the forum

Thanks a lot! I do a lot of reading but had never registered. Yea the nameplate would but i was just curious about weather or not that included extreme cold (From Below 0 to -20F) Do they calculate that into the equation or is that something better asked to the manufacturer?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Thanks a lot! I do a lot of reading but had never registered. Yea the nameplate would but i was just curious about weather or not that included extreme cold (From Below 0 to -20F) Do they calculate that into the equation or is that something better asked to the manufacturer?

I am quite certain the manufacturers have it built in just as the a/c units have it built in. When a product gives the minimum circuit ampacity then it is usually taking the 125% into consideration.

You can check it by calculating the actual heater and motor loads and see if that is the case, however I think that is a waste of time. Even in cold climates and the unit runs constantly it would not matter if the 125% is built in. Again, I am pretty certain that the 125% is considered by the mfg.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If you look at the Article 100 definition of continuous load you'll see that it's when the maximum current will continue for 3 hours or more. That means that the tub would need to have the heater, jets, lights and everything else running at the same time for 3 hours or more. Not very likely.

Continuous Load. A load where the maximum current is
expected to continue for 3 hours or more.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
If you look at the Article 100 definition of continuous load you'll see that it's when the maximum current will continue for 3 hours or more. That means that the tub would need to have the heater, jets, lights and everything else running at the same time for 3 hours or more. Not very likely.

The heater load would have to be calculated at 125% regardless , IMO... Motors also need 125%... the lights are insignificant

kwired

Electron manager
I also don't see a unit running for more then three hours if all covers are in place even in extreme cold to maintain temperature, getting one that has just been filled with cold water up to temp can be over three hours even on a summer day though.

JudeSaint

24252100_10156109980553816_1950258347_n.jpg
Posting in here again because i just got the hot tub delivered to me and opened it up to check the nameplate .... 40amp max ... Ive hooked up a few hot tubs before and i have never seen a 40 amp one. Anyone ever seen this? ... because 40 amp disconnects are nonexistent around me without an expensive special order. Even the 2 poll 40 amp GFCI breakers are very expensive and i still have to order them because no one around me has them. on top of that I think i am going to have to use a small outside panel (2-4 slots) as my disconnect because they only have 50/60 amp disco's here. Any of this odd to anyone else?

Edit 1. Added a namplate pic for referrence
Edit 2. IS it possible that this unit for whatever reason is considered continuous load and it was NOT included in the nameplate? ... If that were the case a normal 50amp disconnect would make sense.

Last edited:

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
View attachment 19045
Posting in here again because i just got the hot tub delivered to me and opened it up to check the nameplate .... 40amp max ... Ive hooked up a few hot tubs before and i have never seen a 40 amp one. Anyone ever seen this? ... because 40 amp disconnects are nonexistent around me without an expensive special order. Even the 2 poll 40 amp GFCI breakers are very expensive and i still have to order them because no one around me has them. on top of that I think i am going to have to use a small outside panel (2-4 slots) as my disconnect because they only have 50/60 amp disco's here. Any of this odd to anyone else?

Edit 1. Added a namplate pic for referrence
Edit 2. IS it possible that this unit for whatever reason is considered continuous load and it was NOT included in the nameplate? ... If that were the case a normal 50amp disconnect would make sense.

I've run into this before with hot tubs. Almost made a mistake once by going with just the nameplate. After reading the spec/cut sheet, I discovered that the 125% was not included in the nameplate rating. So in your case, 40A X 125% = 50A
I would go with the 50A.

I'm not saying all tubs are the same but I've found a few that you need to add the 125%. So being as I also haven't seen a 40A my bet is yours should be 50A

kwired

Electron manager
They need to come up with standard method of marking them like they have with air conditioning equipment and mark it with a MCA and MOCP.

That label isn't clear at all as to whether it means 40 amps MOCP or if it means it will draw a maximum of 40 amps.

Add: if you do need a 40 amp breaker and 40 amp GFCI is more expensive - put a standard 40 amp breaker in the house panel and use a 50 amp GFCI in the local disconnect.

JudeSaint

I contacted the manufacturer. I pointed out to them that it was odd to me because i had not seen one. Their response was to just use a 50 because that is what everyone else does. Thinking im just going to feed the 50amp GFCI disconnect with a 40amp breaker from the panel. Nameplate CLEARLY states 40amp max.

JudeSaint

Any consensus on this issue? ... its actually troubling me quite a bit. Im torn on what i should do. Nameplate says 40amp max but talking to the customer support people on the phone and 2 different guys said the same thing.... they said that people just put 50amp breakers and call it good. I could get a 40amp gfci breaker but they are double the price of a regular spa disconnect and i would still have to buy a spa box to put it in vs just getting an already built disconnect with the 50amp already in it.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I would put a 50A in as long as the wire is the correct size and sleep like a baby!;)

To the OP:
Can you post the make-model of the tub? I can check the cut sheets as I have a guy that can get that for me.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Something doesn't jive. It seems Watkins makes hot spring ubs and are locate in fairfax.. Cannot find a fairfax NL listed

Status
Not open for further replies.