Hot tub hookup

Status
Not open for further replies.

JudeSaint

Just like the nameplate states....:D

haha yea ... its just ... so ... weird to me. I have just not seen one and anything 40amp (at least around me) is either non existent or 3x the price of the 50/60 amp stuff. Oh well. First time for everything right? ... haha thanks a lot everyone.

kwired

Electron manager
I am only seeing 40 amp minimum in those instructions, no maximim.

As I mentioned earlier though, I'd probably put a 40 amp standard breaker at the house panel and use a 50 amp spa panel as the local disconnect.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I took this straight from the owner's manual that the PDF link was in from the Cocso link.

230V Wiring Instructions:
4 wires/Minimum 50 amp GFCI
Breaker #8 AWG 75°C Copper Wire
Minimum (less than 100’ length)

I still say 50A is correct.

kwired

Electron manager
Yea the manual says 40amp min but if you go back to the first page where i posted the picture the nameplate says 40 amp maximum.
But it doesn't say exactly what that 40 amps is. Is it maximum connected load, maximum load that will ever be able to run at one time, does it include any continuous loading factors? With HVAC equipment MCA does factor in 125% of largest motor, hot tubs don't seem to have any standards in which to follow.

If there is 40 amps of continuous load then NEC wants us to take that times 1.25 and you need a 50 amp circuit, again it don't tell us what that 40 amps is. If it gave us ratings of heaters and pumps utilized we could at least calculate something.

JudeSaint

All it says is 40amps max. Im going to play it safe and feed the disconnect with a 40amp breaker. Worst comes to worst i can replace the 40amp with a 50amp and be good.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Check post #8. That is the picture i took of the nameplate.

Well the spec sheet I read is for the same model and it says 50A. I've probably put in close to 100 hot tubs and never saw one that required less than 50A.
I would also say a 40A GFCI would cost more than a 50A but it's your install.

JudeSaint

Going to feed a 50 amp Gfi disconnect with a 40amp main to cover my bases. If it has issues and needs more power ill just throw in a 50 to replace the 40.

Status
Not open for further replies.