How did I fix it??

Status
Not open for further replies.

R Bob

dmanda24 said:
1 I did not have access to the main.
2 all I did was turn on the range with everything else off.

I don't think it was prudent to leave the feeder energized given the potential of this condition getting quite dangerous. Without access to the main/origin of the feeder/elec. rm., you really don't know the full scope of the problem.

As far as access to the main goes:

Disable/lockout all branch circuits in the panel.

Contact the owner or bldg. mgmt. to gain access.

If the owner/bldg. mgmt. can't be contacted or won't cooperate:
Contact the AHJ, they have a vested interest in public safety especially in a multi family bldg. If the AHJ can't get anywhere, they can certainly declare an emergency and have the POCO drop power to the bldg. until the situation can be evaluated.

If all else fails, call the fire department and explain the condition. They can also declare an emergency and have the POCO drop power. They can also legally gain access to the elec. rm. by whatever means necessary .

I'm not jumping on the band wagon and being critical, just making an observation. There is a lot at stake here.

whillis

The picture shows a splitter in a 30+ year old building that had no routine inspection schedule. My best guess is that the bolt holding the 350kcmil lug loosened over time and caused resistance heating. The hot wire oxidized and became loose in the lug, at which point an arc started that melted the wire right into the lug body. Even though the wire-lug connection "self healed", eventually the lug-bussbar connection oxidized open. After this was found the rest of the complex was inspected and several other splittters were replaced for similar issues.

cadpoint

Originally Posted by ohm
If it's the neutral how come it's hooked up to black & red wires?

Brian Johns said:
Oh, !! say, i didnt notice that, guess i looked at the pic too quickly. i will try to be more observant. :D

Besides the miss of the observation is that the term correct phrase to say if it was correctly landed "I believe that would be a high resistance neutral connection. Should be coming from the meter location." ???

I never heard that phrase, is that regional slang ?
Service conductors,
Line side, Load side - service conductors... I know

I was just wondering ... :grin:

TOOL_5150

Brian Johns said:
I believe that would be a high resistance neutral connection. Should be coming from the meter location.

Ahh geez, now we have a brian john and a brian johns.... I know thats going to get me :-?

~Matt

Brian Johns

TOOL_5150 said:
Ahh geez, now we have a brian john and a brian johns.... I know thats going to get me :-?

~Matt
Don't forget the CAPITALS dumas, ie....Brian Johns

I was going to use TOOL_5150 but it just seemed stupid.

Oh, and thanks for the warm welcome to the forum.

Brian Johns

cadpoint said:
Besides the miss of the observation is that the term correct phrase to say if it was correctly landed "I believe that would be a high resistance neutral connection. Should be coming from the meter location." ???

I never heard that phrase, is that regional slang ?
Service conductors,
Line side, Load side - service conductors... I know

I was just wondering ... :grin:

Obviously it wasn't correctly landed or it wouldn't have gotten so hot.

TOOL_5150

Brian Johns said:

Oh, and thanks for the warm welcome to the forum.

Whoa, settle down there fella. I was just poking some fun - mostly at myself. You are going to end up with high blood pressure and getting angry over a thread about rope if you let someone on the internet get to you. :D

~Matt

iwire

Staff member
Brian,

Welcome to the forum. :smile:

Is that better? :grin:

One of our long term members is brian john Matt was just pointing out that us regulars will have to pay attention.

Brian Johns said:

Now that you got that out I should let you know there is no flamming allowed on this forum.

wptski

cadpoint said:
Besides the miss of the observation is that the term correct phrase to say if it was correctly landed
If you look up the word landed in a American English Dictionary, you'll find that it has no connection(no pun) to the way you are using the word.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
wptski said:
If you look up the word landed in a American English Dictionary, you'll find that it has no connection(no pun) to the way you are using the word.
I bet there are plenty of words in the NEC one could say the same thing about.

Besides, just one of many; 'land' as a verb: "to make contact, to hit home"

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
wptski said:
There are many words and phrases that are commonly used in our industry, and that may or may not be defined in the NEC, but for which no English dictionary would include our usage. Like many professions, we have a language of our own.

Status
Not open for further replies.