How do you guys do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinniem

When I rough a house/addition, I try to drill my holes and staple my wires as straight as possible.

Some how it never looks as good as some jobs that i've seen other contractors do.

I try taking pride in my work and try to do the best job possible. What am I doing wrong?

Any suggestions?

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
If you have not been shown how to "train" the cables to follow the surfaces, that could be your problem. This involves bending the cable towards the surface in short increments (about 1 foot) as it is placed. It's hard to describe, but easy once you see it done. It's also important to properly unroll the cable to avoid the "slinky" effect. Once it goes "slinky", it's hard to tame it.

Mark

360Youth

busman said:
It's also important to properly unroll the cable to avoid the "slinky" effect. Once it goes "slinky", it's hard to tame it.

Mark

Thank-you, thank-you. I can't tell you how much I hate to see wire pulled w/o unrolling it.

tallguy

busman said:
If you have not been shown how to "train" the cables to follow the surfaces, that could be your problem. This involves bending the cable towards the surface in short increments (about 1 foot) as it is placed. It's hard to describe, but easy once you see it done.

Definitely hard to explain this one... You have to sort of overbend the cable a bit (at least versus what is intuitive) to get it to press up flush against the surface.

As for drilling holes, I just eyeball it from the last couple holes (like lining up a putt using the golf club and pin). If you want to get neurotic you could try snapping chalk line.

busman said:
It's also important to properly unroll the cable to avoid the "slinky" effect. Once it goes "slinky", it's hard to tame it.

Unless you have it on a 1000' spool, try uncoiling the whole run (or at least a significant portion of it) before you start. If you try to go piecemeal you will drive yourself crazy flipping the coil over repeatedly.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
If unrolling from a roll (not a spool) of Romex, it is better to unroll from the inside, not the outside. It just works better if unrolling by hand. If using an unwinder, then go from the outside.

Mark

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Vinniem said:
When I rough a house/addition, I try to drill my holes and staple my wires as straight as possible.

Try using an angle drill and put it up to your hip. Each hole hold the drill at that same spot while drilling, then use one of these---------

part_19455.gif

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I was trained to pull several feet from the center of the roll, then uncoil it by whipping the end of it around in the opposit direction of the way it came off the coil. Good for short runs and if you don't have room to unroll the whole coil.

We all have seen some pretty installations that did not work so don't stress to much over it. Looks good from here.

celtic

Dennis Alwon said:
Try using an angle drill and put it up to your hip. Each hole hold the drill at that same spot while drilling, then use ....

....1000' spools.

480sparky

I use 1000' spools almost exslusively. I stock a few 250' coils on the truck for service calls, though. To unroll those nice & smooth, I take the first foot of the wire and bend it into a Z shape. I place one hand on the top and bottom of the Z. Then, as I walk away from the spool, I twist the end of the wire in the direction needed to remove the twist as it comes out of the coil. (Imagine an auto mechanic using a speed wrench). The NM isn't as smooth as a 1000' spool, but the coils and kinks are removed.

raider1

Staff member
Try using an angle drill and put it up to your hip. Each hole hold the drill at that same spot while drilling,

That is the same method that I use. I use 250' rolls of cable and a couple of wire spoolers that hang on 2x4's.

Chris

480sparky

Dennis Alwon said:
Try using an angle drill and put it up to your hip.
I used to know a builder who wired his own houses.

His method was as follows, believe or not:

Walk around the house with a tape measure, and put a mark on the edge of each stud at 20" off the floor.
When all the studs are marked, he would then take his square to each stud and mark the side of each stud at that same 20" mark.
When he had marked the side of all the studs, he would then measure each stud and mark the exact center of the stud.
Then he would get out his drill and start drilling. And not just the studs he needed to drill. All of them. Everywhere. Backs of closets, both sides of the hallways, bathrooms, you name it.
His reasoning for this two-day affair? He would then save on copper by using as little as possible between receptacle boxes.

dduffee260

480sparky said:

His method was as follows, believe or not:

Walk around the house with a tape measure, and put a mark on the edge of each stud at 20" off the floor.
When all the studs are marked, he would then take his square to each stud and mark the side of each stud at that same 20" mark.
When he had marked the side of all the studs, he would then measure each stud and mark the exact center of the stud.
Then he would get out his drill and start drilling. And not just the studs he needed to drill. All of them. Everywhere. Backs of closets, both sides of the hallways, bathrooms, you name it.
His reasoning for this two-day affair? He would then save on copper by using as little as possible between receptacle boxes.

Sound like the type of guy who would drive 50 miles across town in a truck that gets 10 mpg because gas is 2 cents cheaper there.

celtic

480sparky said:

LMAO ...just how long were these houses "his"?

480sparky

dduffee260 said:
Sound like the type of guy who would drive 50 miles across town in a truck that gets 10 mpg because gas is 2 cents cheaper there.

Think that's bad? I used to work with a guy who would buy a new car or truck, then have the windshield replaced with one that has the radio antenna in the glass so he could remove the metal antenna sticking out of his fender. "I get better gas mileage this way!"
He also shaved his legs whenever he went on a bicycle trip.... "Cut's down on wind resistance and makes it easier!"

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
dduffee260 said:
You mean not everyone does this? ;)

As for drilling holes in a straight line, I simply line the auger up with the hole I just drilled as I start the next hole. In other words, walk forward, not backward, as you drill.

480sparky

stickboy1375 said:
I'm not strong enough to lug those babies up a flight of temp. stairs... I'll stick with 250' rolls... :grin:

Why lug 'em in? Set 'em up in the truck! Or at least in the garage. With no twists and kinks, you could set them up down the street!

360Youth

250' rolls for me. I can usually roll out the lengths I need faster than I can reset a spinner each time I change location or floors. Everybody has their methods.

Status
Not open for further replies.