How many men

Status
Not open for further replies.

danickstr

No one seems concerned about burning the PVC with the rope on the second 90, so I guess it isn't a potential for a failure. I know several guys here talk about using metal 90s on long pulls with lots of heavy wire in them.

ohmhead

No one seems concerned about burning the PVC with the rope on the second 90, so I guess it isn't a potential for a failure. I know several guys here talk about using metal 90s on long pulls with lots of heavy wire in them.

Well there is a trick on pvc 90 s we used one rigid 90 on one side .

But at 250 foot there is no problem unless the guys pulling dont know what there doing .

Key is to wet you string a little bit or soap it .

Now heres another trick when you pull your rope lets say you have a 2 " or a 3 " conduit take a smaller size sealtite strip off the outer jacket sealtite flex cut it about 3 foot slide it over rope install it inside the 90 side your pulling from put a few tie wire wraps around the sealtite let her rip! You will not burn thur your 90!

Dont forget to duck tape it when the head comes up the sealtite comes up done .

Last edited:

hardworkingstiff

Now heres another trick when you pull your rope lets say you have a 2 " or a 3 " conduit take a smaller size sealtite strip off the outer jacket sealtite flex cut it about 3 foot slide it over rope install it inside the 90 side your pulling from put a few tie wire wraps around the sealtite let her rip! You will not burn thur your 90!

I'm picturing a conduit system installed a month or so ago, we come back and blow in a string, pull in the pulling rope, and ....... I just can't figure out how I install this sealtite jacket into the 90, and where does the tie wrap go? :confused:

ohmhead

I'm picturing a conduit system installed a month or so ago, we come back and blow in a string, pull in the pulling rope, and ....... I just can't figure out how I install this sealtite jacket into the 90, and where does the tie wrap go? :confused:

Well lets say your pulling into a switchboard or a panel pvc comes in from grade below into bottom of can or swb .

The conduit is stubbed up into switchboard or panel can slide the smaller sealtite flex with out jacket into conduit stub up tie wire it to the floor wrap it with tie wire around the top duck tape it .

It doesnt move its just a glide for the rope to protect the pvc from burning by the rope . the pressure is applied to the pvc wall as the rope presses it outward it only moves when the head comes out . some times we dont even tie wire it one guy holds it in place its not a issue .

Were not installing the jacket we take it off were using the metal part of the sealtite it slides in better then with jacket is on !

Last edited:

hardworkingstiff

Well lets say your pulling into a switchboard or a panel pvc comes in from grade below into bottom of can or swb .

The conduit is stubbed up into switchboard or panel can slide the smaller sealtite flex with out jacket into conduit stub up tie wire it to the floor wrap it with tie wire around the top duck tape it .

It doesnt move its just a glide for the rope to protect the pvc from burning by the rope . the pressure is applied to the pvc wall as the rope presses it outward it only moves when the head comes out . some times we dont even tie wire it one guy holds it in place its not a issue .

Were not installing the jacket we take it off were using the metal part of the sealtite it slides in better then with jacket is on !

AH, thanks for clearing that up for me. I'm a bit slow sometimes.

masterinbama

A trick that I use is to put a traffic cone upside down on the feeding end. You just keep the cone full of lube and the cable gets thoroughly coated.And the soft rubber acts as a bushing.

Last edited:

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
That's a great idea. I never thought of it. I sometimes help a friend with his industrial jobs. I'll try it out there.

It's very simple--you can't pull it by hand---but 3 guys could easily complete the task in just a few hours---OH wait, unless the union is involved then it will take 10 guys 2 days---37 years taught me that

220/221

Being a dumb engineer and all that, I have often wondered why these kind of things are not broken up into shorter chunks to make it easier to pull. It would seem to be a whole lot simpler to pull this in 2 chunks, maybe starting at each end, and connecting at a jbox in the middle somewhere.

It would seem to reduce the risk of something going really bad by a lot, as well as reducing the labor.

Don't quit your inside job :D

Setting up is half the battle so just keep tugging.:cool:

Pre lube the PVC 90's and/or the string/rope and they will not burn in.

220/221

Sure it can. I do it all the time.

It doesn't need to be slimey slippery, just enough to avoid the burn in.

The rope usually has enough lube from past pulls. In my experience it's the dry string that gets stuck pulling in the rope.

Status
Not open for further replies.