How many of you are cordless?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOOL_5150

The thing I like best is the built in light by the trigger. No more holding a flashlight in my mouth while tring to start a screw.

Yeah dewalt has that feature built in their newest line of Li tools. At first I thought it was goofy, but it has come in handy a few times.

~Matt

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Almost all the work I do is commercial, industrial, and agricultural. That said, I use 18v Dewalt for everything, most commonly used are the impact and metal circular saw. Only corded tools in my truck are the Milwaukee hole hawg, roto-hammer, and heat gun.

That impact and metal saw were picked up in the last year or so, I don't know how I lived without them!

TOOL_5150

Did not know that.

I used to be a DeWalt only guy.
But having things stolen / taken / lost / whatever... I just switched over.
The only people I run into that have V28 are my guys.
Everyone else has DeWalt... or Ryobi (yuck!)

Yeah ryobi is mainly for a DIYer or a cheap contractor using throw-away tools.

~Matt

Yeah ryobi is mainly for a DIYer or a cheap contractor using throw-away tools.

~Matt
You say that, and 2 of my team are using them...
And they say they like them better than DeWalt...

I don't get it. I say they ARE great, like you said, as a DIYer.
But not as a contractor...

But, it's not my decision. They are using cordless tools.

I had a new electrician (I mean green) come on last month.
I bought his tools (because I know better, what he needs, than he does, and I take it from his paycheck over a month...) anyway, I chose a DeWalt 18V hammerdrill.
It went bad.
His Journeyman (who uses Ryobi) goes with him after work to return the drill... For less than $20, he had the apprentice get a Ryobi 18V 4-pack...

rexowner

Occupation
Electrician
I was about to buy Milwaukee V28 to replace my beaten-up
Milwaukee V18, but then Milwaukee introduced M12 and M18
at the lower voltage ranges.

Sorry if I am changing the subject, but should I be waiting
for M28 to change tools?

Thanks, I am confused...

A girliefriend just bought a Ryobi 12V, Li/Hy.
Works great, lights, powerful. For small stuff/trimming.
I'm trading in my 18V DeWalt hammdrill/sawz,light/skilsaw
for Ryobi 18V...Batteries don't seem to last very well on my
DeWalts

TOOL_5150

You say that, and 2 of my team are using them...
And they say they like them better than DeWalt...

I don't get it. I say they ARE great, like you said, as a DIYer.
But not as a contractor...

But, it's not my decision. They are using cordless tools.

I had a new electrician (I mean green) come on last month.
I bought his tools (because I know better, what he needs, than he does, and I take it from his paycheck over a month...) anyway, I chose a DeWalt 18V hammerdrill.
It went bad.
His Journeyman (who uses Ryobi) goes with him after work to return the drill... For less than $20, he had the apprentice get a Ryobi 18V 4-pack...

THat is funny how it works sometimes. To each his own I suppose. I guess for a green helper ryobi is ok. But I actually USE my tools :laughs:

Anyway, All brands have their rare duds.

~Matt

kid_stevens

DeWalt's use NiCad until you get the top of the line. NiCads are really bad. Ryobi's use NiMH or LI. Ryobi is now the parent company of Milwaukee Tools. They bought them for the tough technology.

When ever I work for corporations and they send tools I get sent DeWalts as hammer drills and the first thing I do is send them back because the won't last in the hard environment I put my crews to work in. Try hammer drilling 24 bays 4 holes each in old 8000 psi concrete. You won't get 6 holes before the Dewalts drop the charge.

Karl H

I've been using the Dewalt 18v set-up for at least 12 years.
The only corded tools on my truck are a Bosch Hammer drill and
Porta-Band. I'm doing more design work now and my tools are collecting
more dust than there making.Which is a total shame.

Buck Parrish

Makita

Makita

I still have my original 9.6 v makita. It has the long battery that slides up the handle. And a metal case!
But it is retired and sits on the shelf of my home work shop.

I use all 18 v Makitas, three drills. One with hammer, saw-zaw.
Also just got a rigid half in drill for tough holes. It has more rpm then my Milwaukee angle drill. I also have the new 7.2 v makita drill /impact driver. It has a light on it. Its great for making up panels.
I have the mini Milwaukee corded angle drill. Its great for tight spots.
My big bosh hammer drill will drive grd rods. And I have a shovel blade that will fit in it , too. To much more to list.

But I always grab my 18 volt Makita. How ever I am a little disturbed by this transition Makita is going through. All new 18 v batteries won't fit my older drills. It will fit my Makita radio. It has a nice sound with sony speakers.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
36v DeWalt tools, baby! Hammer-drill, recip saw, circular saw, jigsaw, flashlight.

I also only break out the corded stuff for larger jobs or the Bosch rotary hammer.

bjp_ne_elec

How many of you use a cordless drill, as your MAIN drill motor, and how many use a corded drill ? The focus here is your MAIN drill motor

My cordless stuff is getting tired, particularly my hammer drill and batteries. I have bought several batteries and Im starting to think its a money pit. Ive either got to keep buying more, or go back to corded for my main drill. or perhaps change brands, I use dewalt 18v.

Cordless (18 V Dewalt) for everything except drilling wood for residential homes. Here I use a corded Milwaulkee Angle Head drill.

badabing

I thought we had this discussion already?? Anyways, i'm going to say I use Ryobi. Like it or not, i have no problems with them, i have the Lithium batteries and they last a really long time now compared to the old yellow batteries. I use the impact for all my screwing, and it'll even take some spade bits when i'm too lazy to get the other drills for a hole or 2. We also have the 24v Ridgid sets which we use for drilling and cutting. I used to have bosch tools, and milwaukee, etc... but ya know what? They break just as easy as my ryobi, and cost a lot more! I also have the ryobi spiral cut saw, which in my opinion feels/works better then the original roto zip. And by the way, you really can feel a difference with the tools when you use the lithium batteries in place of the old nicad ones, they seem to be more powerful with them. Plus ryobi has a huge lineup of tools compared to others, where you'd have to buy all the different sets to get a new tool. We do however, mostly use our ridgid sets, for any large drilling. Only problem we have with the ridgid is if you're boring a hole or something, and it seems to take TOO much effort, the batteries basically 'shut down' and have to go back on the charger for a second to re-activate, which sucks.

steelersman

Depends on the task. There's no way I'm using a cordless to drill out the studs to rough in a dwelling. OTOH, I'm not draggin a cord out to trim it.
I use a Hilti 18 Volt for everthing. Why would anyone ever use a corded drill in a trimout? If I ever saw that I would laugh them off the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.