How much do you charge for digging Trenches

$80-$100 for just the machine, and another $80-$125 for you, right?

IMO, the machine charges a separate man rate
No, just $80-$100 total. The price would be way to0 high if I tacked my electrician rate on top of that. Really a lot of non electrical work is not worth my time to do or ends up being way above market rate. Sometimes I will do it though just to mix things up a little and/or if something about the job excites me for some reason. Another example is I have a portable band saw mill. Its really not very worth my time to do jobs with it at $100/hr considering I can get almost that just doing electrical without the expenses, depreciation, and hassle.....But I do sometimes because its different and kinda fun sometimes.

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
Its a bad idea to include digging ( and transporting heavy equipment) on your electrical license... if you do it alot.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Usually any high cost specialty equipment that is usually available as a rental, and I own one, I'll just charge out the usual rental rate for the equipment and add in time, if it is not something I do on a fairly regular basis.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Usually any high cost specialty equipment that is usually available as a rental, and I own one, I'll just charge out the usual rental rate for the equipment and add in time, if it is not something I do on a fairly regular basis.
Just curious...
Do you add in time that would be spent going to rent and return equipment, if you own it?

I would think so

kwired

Electron manager
Its a bad idea to include digging ( and transporting heavy equipment) on your electrical license... if you do it alot.
??

My electrical license qualifies me to do electrical installations. The electrical authority doesn't care much on who or how a trench is made, just how the electrical gets installed in it. My electrical license does not qualify me in any way to operate excavating equipment. My insurance however maybe sees higher risk potential if I am the excavator whether I own or rent the machine. If I hire someone to excavate, I presumably am paying them enough to take on that risk so it still costs me at least on a per job basis.

Flanative

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
My mini excavator doesn’t leave the shop for less then a $250 equipment charge per day. Then any excavation is billed at $75 per hour plus materials, plus fuel.

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
I guess mine is one of those toy backhoe
At least you have something other than the shovel, I've operated one of those little buggers, they're great, not a big chance in doing too much damage. I would probably be dangerous on the larger ones. I leave that to the pros.

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
I also do not understand, could you help us out and explain your concerns? Seems to me it's just an issue of your insurance coverage and if your insurance covers excavating or if you need extra coverage for that and what the cost is, ETC.
Different set of liability for the dangers of heavy equip. transpo and digging liability that very well could jepoardize your main elect buss iness and employees.
Expect accidents and litigation. This is only important if you are a slab/shell guy doing ALOT of distrbution...and digging.
Dont ask me how i know.
Many companies are separating endevors due to the dangers of driving/idiot stakers.
And i say that because i like you effers.

kwired

Electron manager
Different set of liability for the dangers of heavy equip. transpo and digging liability that very well could jepoardize your main elect buss iness and employees.
Expect accidents and litigation. This is only important if you are a slab/shell guy doing ALOT of distrbution...and digging.
Dont ask me how i know.
Many companies are separating endevors due to the dangers of driving/idiot stakers.
And i say that because i like you effers.
I get that, but your electrical license isn't impacted in any way by excavation activity, it mostly deals with what you put into the hole. You can sub contract someone else to dig a trench and they wouldn't even need an electrical license as long as they don't help you lay in cables, conduits, etc.

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
I get that, but your electrical license isn't impacted in any way by excavation activity, it mostly deals with what you put into the hole. You can sub contract someone else to dig a trench and they wouldn't even need an electrical license as long as they don't help you lay in cables, conduits, etc.
Until you hit a gas line...
You seem thick and i regret responding...

kwired

Electron manager
Until you hit a gas line...
You seem thick and i regret responding...
So maybe you need gas license as well??

Again electrical licensing has nothing to do with being able to run excavating equipment - at least in nearly all places. Did you have excavating related questions when you took any exam for your license?

Maybe some sort of general contracting portion to gain any contracting business license in some places might have such content? But not electrical content of an electrical licensing exam.

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Does $20 / lineal foot, 18" deep, 1" conduit included, sound fair?

(@Knuckle Dragger @electrofelon we're in a rocky region too)
$25 per foot for excavation and back fill only.
There are a lot of variables.
Price of fuel/ labor / materials.
It would be more per foot if it were only 50' long compared to 150'.
You have to ask yourself
how much is your time worth,
How low am I willing to get this job (there maybe more potential work later.)
I'm at a point where I don't cut myself short to get a job. You shouldn't either.
Good luck!

KB1985

Occupation
Contractor
$25 per foot for excavation and back fill only.
There are a lot of variables.
Price of fuel/ labor / materials.
It would be more per foot if it were only 50' long compared to 150'.
You have to ask yourself
how much is your time worth,
How low am I willing to get this job (there maybe more potential work later.)
I'm at a point where I don't cut myself short to get a job. You shouldn't either.
Good luck!
This is so helpful @Knuckle Dragger. Thank you for this! Even the 12' trenches could take half a day or more if there are crazy variables -- which I am learning, are more the norm than crazy.

Seems like we need a whole arsenal of equipment to navigate the variables. What is your go-to machine for a Massachusetts trench?