How much do you charge for digging Trenches

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
This is so helpful @Knuckle Dragger. Thank you for this! Even the 12' trenches could take half a day or more if there are crazy variables -- which I am learning, are more the norm than crazy.

Seems like we need a whole arsenal of equipment to navigate the variables. What is your go-to machine for a Massachusetts trench?
I typically outsource it now.
For services I have a couple of excavation contractors that I have on hand.
For branch circuits and if it's a shallow and delicate dig (around plants and such) I know a few landscapers who will loan me a man or two with younger backs than mine to do the digging
In the past I have personally used everything from a grub hoe to a mini excavator.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I just had a 2310 Ditch Witch given to me, needs a lot of work, but may just be scap metal. My cousin who owns an excavation company laughed at me, saying trenchers are now obsolete. He used to own a couple. He is pretty fast with a mid size excavator, and could probably dig the ditch faster! LOL!

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
This is so helpful @Knuckle Dragger. Thank you for this! Even the 12' trenches could take half a day or more if there are crazy variables -- which I am learning, are more the norm than crazy.

Seems like we need a whole arsenal of equipment to navigate the variables. What is your go-to machine for a Massachusetts trench?

I don't know about Mass. I'm in Pa. I have a 580K all wheel drive extendahoe with a front 4 in one bucket that's really handy. Digs trenches, loads dumpsters, plows snow, lifts heavy stuff on and off trucks, and it's fast enough to drive on the local roads for short distances (2-3 miles). It wasn't too expensive either, I think I paid 11K for it 6 or 7 years ago

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I've found that contracting out the trenching is better for me. By the time I go rent equipment, haul it to the job, use it, then return it, a guy with the equipment could be finished and home drinking tea. Actually, found it cheaper than me renting a trencher. I can be doing other tasks instead of running back and forth to the rental center.
It may work out for you if you already own the equipment and can haul it along with your job tools & material.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
I was doing a sewage pump station one time, and the kid I was working with lost control of the rented trencher and it got ahold of a brand new chain link fence. Seemed like it took forever just to get the trencher unstuck from the mess that was once a fence.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
I ended up with a 680 Case backhoe in my barn one time over a no brakes issue. And not through the door. Knocked the whole barn off it's foundation. Total nightmare. My machine with someone else unloading it off a trailer