How to get started as a licensed electrician

Status
Not open for further replies.

wanttolearn

I dont have any real experience besides a couple of small jobs. I want to know what i need to get started on the path to becoming a master licensed electrician? what kind of training do i need? where can i get it? is there a way to do so with modest costs?

Thanks

I started in the trades via the industrial manufacturing company I work for. Roughly every 2-4 years they have job postings for apprenticeships in either Machine Repair, Tool and Die, or Electrician.

HEYDOG

I would check with your local building department and see exactly what the requirements are for taking the Master Electrician test. In our area you have to have around 10,000 to 12,000 hours of on the job training under a master electrician. Or have gone through a approved apprentice ship program.
After that I would see if there is a local apprenticeship program either union or non union that you can get into.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Many areas allow formal education to be counted in place of some number of hours of actual experience. But with enough experience hours there is no absolute requirement for formal education.
Some licenses, once granted, will require some amount of Continuing Education Units (CEU) each year for renewal, and those generally have to be accredited in some way.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I got fired. Was in business by the following Monday.

Business plan. WTH is that?
Vehicle. My van ran, most, well sometimes.
Operating capital. $100, maybe.
Insurance. Minimum, on installment plan.
Experience. Five years of mixed exposure.
Education. Tech school, but motors, I won't see much of them.
License. :thumbsup:

Sole provider for wife, three kids, cat, dog, and bowl of fish.

Quite a ride.

so formal education is not a requirement ?

The route I went to become an electrician; no formal education was required to become an apprentice. It was treated like a new job, even though within the same company. They interviewed upwards of 70 applicants, had us take placement testing, and then a committee selected the new apprentices. However once selected the new apprentices would enroll at a local college for classes in electrical theory, math, plc's, industrial wiring, etc.. to meet the state required amount of schooling hours.

donaldelectrician

I dont have any real experience besides a couple of small jobs. I want to know what i need to get started on the path to becoming a master licensed electrician? what kind of training do i need? where can i get it? is there a way to do so with modest costs?

Thanks

Marry a EC's daughter .

Don

wanttolearn

Well im actually outside the country right now but when i come back ill be living in Georgia. I already have a bachelors degree and i plan to get a masters later on but in florida. I was wondering if i could start in Georgia and then when i move to florida continue my experience.
I know its probably kinda crazy to want to be an electrician and continue to get a masters degree but i want to have two job options. I like to do physical electrical work where i can see the results of my wiring but i also like doing academic work.
I would love to enroll in a tech school to get more of a basic education but i really doubt i could afford it. Thats why i ask about other options.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I know its probably kinda crazy to want to be an electrician and continue to get a masters degree but i want to have two job options. I like to do physical electrical work where i can see the results of my wiring but i also like doing academic work.
Not all that uncommon.
A trial lawyer had to call a plumber to unclog his sink.
After 20 minutes the plumber presented the lawyer with a bill for $200.
The lawyer said that even as a prominent trial lawyer he did not make that kind of hourly rate.
The plumber answered, "When I was a lawyer I didn't make that much either.

:angel:

growler

Well im actually outside the country right now but when i come back ill be living in Georgia. I already have a bachelors degree and i plan to get a masters later on but in florida. I was wondering if i could start in Georgia and then when i move to florida continue my experience.

The cost of becomming an electrician can be very modest. Get yourself a job doing electrical construction. Then know who's license you are working under and document the hours worked and the type of work you are doing.

It's better if you work for a bigger company because in the future many small companies go out of business and the license holders die off. It could be a good idea to have them signed a noterized copy of your work experience before you leave the job.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

Thanks

first, get a license. :)

seriously, the most practical way to do so is to get your self accepted into some kind of apprenticeship program for electricians. once you are a journeyman, you can move forward with whatever requirements there are in your area to become a master.

Status
Not open for further replies.