How To Tap Off Common GEC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure what this argument was ..

The grounding electrodes have nothing to do with fault clearing for low voltage systems That link was from a few weeks ago when I actually tried it myself. I got 5 amps with 120V bolted to the GEC. 5 amps is a lot for two rods.

That does sound pretty scientific, but probably not.

The point being whatever the nature of a power surge blasting toward a dwelling, the grounding rod is the best path of least resistance at that point of entry.

I think in your above scenario we have to think critically about exactly what type of event we are referring to and what conductors are effected. There are many different scenarios. "path of least resistance" to what and what for? What exactly is this surge? IS the distribution system an MGN or ungrounded? IF this surge is on the ungrounded conductors, I dont see how more grounding connected to the neutral will help. Besides, if the distribution system is an MGN, the neutral will already have a zillion electrodes connected to it and have very low resistance. In the case of an ungrounded system having a primary conductor fall on the service drop messenger/neutral, you would have, say, 4800 volts going through the transformer center tap and one of the secondary spades and I imaging that would blow the transformer or trip the cutout fuse. I am not seeing the building electrode doing much in this situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.