HVAC Disconnect sizing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
It doesn't. It says the disconnecting means shall be at least 115 percent of the nameplate rated-load current or branch circuitselection current, whichever is greater..

My local IAEI CEU classes are training inspectors Nameplates always override code, per NEC 110.3(B). Perhaps streamlining complexity for combo. inspectors, not expected to master all code yet.

Nevertheless, our inspectors are running around enforcing Nameplate, and being told to red tag anyone who tries to quote Code, especially if they've been doing it that way for years.

So MCA > BCSC > Rated load current. Whats the harm in using MCA as HVAC disconnect current rating?

If the inspector is enforcing nameplate, and believes MAX FUSE describes disconnect requirements, it is best to error on the side of caution.

packersparky

Occupation
Inspector
My local IAEI CEU classes are training inspectors Nameplates always override code, per NEC 110.3(B). Perhaps streamlining complexity for combo. inspectors, not expected to master all code yet.

Nevertheless, our inspectors are running around enforcing Nameplate, and being told to red tag anyone who tries to quote Code, especially if they've been doing it that way for years.

If the inspector is enforcing nameplate, and believes MAX FUSE describes disconnect requirements, it is best to error on the side of caution.

An inspector should be enforcing the nameplate values for MOCP and MCA, but the nameplate will not tell you what size disconnect to use. For that we have to use 440.12

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
An inspector should be enforcing the nameplate values for MOCP and MCA, but the nameplate will not tell you what size disconnect to use. For that we have to use 440.12
So would nec 440 apply to roof top units (RTU) where they have indoor unit and outdoor unit split system with condensing unit outdoor?

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

kwired

Electron manager
So would nec 440 apply to roof top units (RTU) where they have indoor unit and outdoor unit split system with condensing unit outdoor?

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk
Read 440.1. Split systems usually have a hermetic compressor in the outdoor unit. If there is no hermetic compressor 440 doesn't apply.

422 applies to the indoor unit with no hermetic compressor.

Status
Not open for further replies.