I am dreading dreadlocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
You can't have a myriad.
Okay, so let's suppose you have a pyramid of apples. Is that equivalent to a myriad?

And suppose you had a pyramid of apples, which noun would qualify the other? Would it be a pyramid made from apples would it be apples stacked into the shape of a pyramid?

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Talk to a set theorist. You can certainly have 'a thousand'.

I think that numbers can both be nouns in their own right or adjectives when they describe something else. But I'm not sure. 'Flock' is not an adjective. You can have 'A flock'. But in the phrase 'flock of sheep' I'm not sure what part of speech 'flock' is.

-Jon

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Okay, so let's suppose you have a pyramid of apples. Is that equivalent to a myriad?

And suppose you had a pyramid of apples, which noun would qualify the other? Would it be a pyramid made from apples would it be apples stacked into the shape of a pyramid?
That's an example of a noun acting as an adjective, like "basketball coach", "highway robbery", or "painting exhibition". Pyramid is the adjective in your case. But, you can also have just a "pyramid" or just "apples". One doesn't often talk of just a "myriad". There is always some noun to which it is connected, however weakly.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
"basketball coach", "highway robbery", or "painting exhibition".
You're forgetting "of" in each of those examples, which can change the meaning, and change whether it's a noun or adjective.

Highway robbery is a whole lot different from highway OF robbery.

Basketball coach is a noun and adjective
Coach OF basketball is two nouns.

Painting exhibition is a noun and adjective
Exhibition OF paintings is two nouns
Pyramid is the adjective in your case.
If we said "apple pyramid" then apple would be the adjective. Pyramid OF apples is two nouns

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
I think wwhitney hit it on the head. 'of' makes it a prepositional phrase. Basket of apples. Apples is a noun, but 'of apples' is an adjective describing the basket.

This would make a myriad of guesses: myriad is a noun, guesses is a plural noun, and 'of guesses' is an adjectival prepositional phrase formed from that plural noun.

Do I get an apple? Or at least my hair back?

-Jon

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
That's an example of a noun acting as an adjective, like "basketball coach", "highway robbery", or "painting exhibition". Pyramid is the adjective in your case. But, you can also have just a "pyramid" or just "apples". One doesn't often talk of just a "myriad". There is always some noun to which it is connected, however weakly.
This is why I despised English class in school........:)

Status
Not open for further replies.