I am scheduled for a test, but I need help quickly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

John316

I have my master electrician test scheduled for Tuesday. I have been working towards this for a long time.

I double checked what the ICC said I could take into the test (I am taking the test at Pearson Vue), and the ICC website said that you could take the 2005 NEC.

Does that mean that the ICC doesn't have a test for the 2008? The 08 is what I have studied, and learned. Or is the ICC website just not been updated.

I really want to take the test on 08. Does anybody know what is going on? I registered for test "701 - National Standard Master Electrician"

Thanks a lot.

God bless,

John

krisinjersey

Take a deep breath!

Take a deep breath!

First take a deep breath. Regardless of which edition you are tested on, it really doesn't matter. I took my NJ contractors exam 2 weeks ago. I spent 18 months prepping aside from the last 10 years of work and school time. What the tests boil down to is one simple thing and I think anyone will agree. "It is not what you know it is how fast you can look it up." The calculations won't change from 2005 to 2008, neither will the vast majority of what you have studied. I spent half my time in the index looking up the articles to verify what I thought to be correct. Through all the prep time in the dvd's Mike tells you to follow along in the code book. Get familiar with the layout and work random calculations so the procedure is in your head. At this point you know what you know. Ask any master electrician a specific question and he'll tell you more often than not to look it up. That's what the book is for. That way we can memorize what we need to now and look up the stuff we aren't exposed to daily. But most importantly relax. You took the time to prep, you know the material, and you'll do fine. Standing on line to check in ask the guys around you how much they prepared if you need a confidence boost. You'd be surprised what some people consider "Prepared". I heard guys say that they had looked the code book over a few times over the last couple weeks. Don't focus on negatives right now. Brush up on the things you know you're weak on, and spend the rest of the weekend absorbing it. Don't cram, and don't panic. It's a big time for you. Take a minute to enjoy the fact that you're sitting in the exam. It's sureal.

Enjoy the test, relax, and let us all know how awesome you did!
God Bless,
Kris
;)

John316

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks a lot folks. I am in Kansas. Where I am at, the code says that I just have to take the national test. That is what I registered for, and figured that it would be over the 2008 book, so that is what I got.

On Pearson vue, they didn't even have an option for the 2008, or the 2005 test, so I figured it was over the 2008. Turns out that it appears to be over the 2005.

I figure I will have to reschedule, and work on the 2005.

Thanks for your help.

God bless,

John

cadpoint

Mike Holt on his home page has all the listed requirements State by State.

Again I submit that you need to look at the what the State Board of Kansas said of what Code year your in
and the Adoption of said Code to year.

John316 < code Sign name :)

cadpoint

After reading post #6, which is a very nice reply to ANYONE's situation and if you have MH Book the one things he does mention is to: ~ NOT ~;

Standing on line to check in ask the guys around you how much they prepared if you need a confidence boost.

Start any discussions ... :)..........;)

John316

Gents, thanks for the encouragement.

First off, Kris, our post crossed. Thanks for your post. That was great. I agree with you 100%. I was really confident on the 2008 book. That is the book I am familiar with. I have every page in that book highlighted, and I have tabs on it too. The book is dog eared from my flipping through it so much. I don't know the 2005 book like that. I am pretty familiar with the material, but not the book. So, I will take your advice, I will look over it, absorb it, and relax.

In addition to that, I think I can bump the test a week. That will help me be more comfortable with finding the material in it.

Cad, Kansas doesn't have any state level test for the M.E. It is by county. Our county requires us to pass the national test. Our county isn't even on the 05 electric code yet, so it doesn't matter to them. My problem has simply been in the fact that I didn't know the Pearson Vue test was on the 2005 book (don't ask me why they don't have a 2008 test:roll:).

Anyways, thanks again, and thanks for putting up with yet another noobie.

God bless,

John

ps, I am going to make some phone calls on Monday, to figure out why Pearson Vue doesn't offer the 2008 test.

John316

One more quick thing.

Is there a national test on the 2008 book? I am wondering if there isn't a national test on it....It is kinda confusing to me. Give me a house to wire any day, over working through this stuff;).

God bless,

John

John316

Your situation may be different but in Michigan you can not use a code book that has any highlighting and the tabs must not be homemade.

Thanks for the reply, Dave.

Actually with the national test, you can have homemade tabs, just as long as they are permanent. Highlighting, and any writing in the code text is okay too.

Of course, my 2008 book has the approved NEC tabs.

God bless,

John

Status
Not open for further replies.