I have a contactor with 120v coil , need a manual reset in case of power out...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

As mentioned I have a contactor I want to remain open in case of a low power or power out, I want
to make sure the coil is not energized when the power comes back on, I want it only to close the contactor due
to qualified personel doing so manually.

Is there a switch that will handle this ?

15 or so years ago I put together a time delay restart, for an ac but this time I can't use a timer.

Thanks for any help .

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Hi,

As mentioned I have a contactor I want to remain open in case of a low power or power out, I want
to make sure the coil is not energized when the power comes back on, I want it only to close the contactor due

15 or so years ago I put together a time delay restart, for an ac but this time I can't use a timer.

Thanks for any help .

This is a standard control scheme known as 3 wire control. Your application is one of the reasons it has been around since dirt was invented. Easy to create. Just google it and get an understanding of how simple this is to set up. You will need an extra contact on your contactor though to set this up.

Last edited:
This is a standard control scheme known as 3 wire control. Your application is one of the reasons it has been around since dirt was invented. Easy to create. Just google it and get an understanding of how simple this is to set up. You will need an extra contact on your contactor though to set this up.

Could you recommend actual components or a pkg that would work for this ?

Thanks.

Basically any motor starter, many contactors. If you have an Ugly's you will find the control curcuit in it.
[Do you teach motor controls?]

Gd No , I never spent enough time with mc, not that I didn't enjoy it. I pulled too much wire to ever be able to fully develope that
part of my brain.

I teach electronics , remedial math, & robotics 101.

If I had the parts in basket , I could figure out how to put it together.lol....

jimdavis

You need a couple of momentary pushbuttons, a normally closed(stop) and a normally open(start). The circuit also requires an extra set of contacts on your contactor. If you do not have a spare pole available on your contactor, you can simply add a relay to the circuit. As others have stated, you can find the wiring diagram in the UGLY'S handbook or google it.

Besoeker

Hi,

Thanks for any help .
If you have to ask are you in the right place?

Besoeker

I would say yes, he is. We all start somewhere. Other than a live hands on class this place is as good as it gets for interactive learning.
I thought this place was for those in the trade. You'd think that something like a no volt release/reset would be quite well understood.
Perhaps no but it seemed to me like a bit of a DIY question. I didn't mean to judge unjustifiably harshly.

I would say yes, he is. We all start somewhere. Other than a live hands on class this place is as good as it gets for interactive learning.

Thank you dave,

I retired about 10 years ago, 15 years as a successful C10 contractor, always in good standing.

Plenty of ground up installations, tons of TI , lighting systems , contactors, switchgear, just don't recall
ever using auxillary contact blocks to safe off a power out situation.

I know all about contactors and relays, just don't know or remember how to inerface aux contact blocks with
coils to make sure the don't re energize without qualified personel first manually pushing a reset.

Besoeker

Really ?

Is this the heckler's forum?

I have no clue how to use auxillary contacts, does that make you a better electrician ?
It just astonishes me that someone in the electrical field wouldn't know about the logic of very basic control circuits.
But I seem to have touched a raw nerve and, for that, I apologise.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Kidde makes a manual reset relay for use with solenoid gas valves for kitchen systems. Your local fire protection company may stock them.

It just astonishes me that someone in the electrical field wouldn't know about the logic of very basic control circuits.
But I seem to have touched a raw nerve and, for that, I apologise.

lol , an insulting apology.

For sake of better understanding for any newbie that might come along looking for the same circuit, since this is the 'very basic of
control circuits' , lay it out.

Name each component (it's not neccessary to name manufacturer or part number) you will use to satisfy the design requirements and explain in complete detail the action/s function/s of each component, how you will wire it, how it works.

Saying ' a simple 3 wire circuit ' 'the very basic of control circuits', will not suffice as a useful tutorial for any 1st or 2nd year apprentice.

Subsequently I'll lay out in detail, the components that have arrived, and components that are being shipped here, that will guard against dangerous restarts of potentially lethal equipment, once I have them installed.

I have several machines to take care of , my boss asked if it could be done.... I could do it with a shunt trip main but it would be costly
and shut off things I'd prefer to not shut off.

Should be a good project.

I didn't know anything about holding contacts until I started teaching motor controls, so judge me as well. It never came up in my line of work. :)

I'd imagine you were expossed to it early on like me, but heck if you don't have any applications for it , how can you expect to
remember it ?

I remember Square D books and some class work , barely , jeeez that was some 35 years ago.

Contactors, breakers, fill , load calcs, voltage drop , pipe bending, that's what took up the next 30 or so years for me.

Motor Control is awesome if you have applications for it, I've moved on to robotics and electronics but still
need to integrate electrical work with it, learning , even learning things we used to know a little bit or a lot about is a good thing imo....

Besoeker

lol , an insulting apology.
No insult intended. I was, and still am genuinely surprised that anyone in the electrical field would lack such knowledge.
Quite simply, I was mistaken.

For sake of better understanding for any newbie that might come along looking for the same circuit, since this is the 'very basic of
control circuits' , lay it out.
OK. From the live side of the 120V go to a normally open contact on a pushbutton. From the other side of the pushbutton contact go to the relay/contactor coil. From the other side of the coil go to the neutral of the 120V supply.
Still with me? So far we have just a push button and a coil in series across the 120V. Pretty basic so far.
Then put a normally open contact of the contactor in parallel with the NO contact of your push button. Job done. Other than you might want a fuse in there.

Components?
RCAS-ESB141+ RAS-CBNO

How much current? I'll assume 40A thermal
So TC1-D2501F7.

That's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.