IBC H4 Occupancy

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmw5396

I have a warehouse building that the Architect has classified as H4 - corrosive, Highly toxic, and toxic products can be stored in an H4 occupancy. But in addition, limited quantities (Maximum Allowable Quantity) of higher hazard - explosive or flammable products are allowed to be stored in the occupancy. Does the presence of the limited quantities require me consider the area Class 1 Division 2 per the NEC?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
... Does the presence of the limited quantities require me consider the area Class 1 Division 2 per the NEC?
Not generally, especially if the products are only stored and not actively transferred between containers such as a mixing operation. Even then it may not be necessary - think of paint departments in big box stores. It generally depends on the quantities involved. The primary reference document would be NFPA 30.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Thank you. So if there could be corrosive products stored, would that mean I will need corrosion resistant conduit and boxes?
See Sections 110.11 and 300.6. Protection from the enviornment is a fairly general requirement.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
I would add how you protect may be accomplished many ways. One would expect the containers would be corrosion resistant, for example.

I have a warehouse building that the Architect has classified as H4 - corrosive, Highly toxic, and toxic products can be stored in an H4 occupancy. But in addition, limited quantities (Maximum Allowable Quantity) of higher hazard - explosive or flammable products are allowed to be stored in the occupancy. Does the presence of the limited quantities require me consider the area Class 1 Division 2 per the NEC?

YES
start with section 307.1 of the IBC then talk with the fire inspector. ultimately the design engineer and plancheck will figure out what occupancy it is and the electrical classification

Status
Not open for further replies.