Ideal RJ-45 Connectors ?

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

TwoBlocked

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
Got a real surprise trying to get some Cat 5 ethernet cables I made with Ideal RJ-45 connectors. They tested fine with my Klein Scout Jr 2. Yet they would not work with some devices and not others. Anybody have had problems like this? Can you recommend a higher quality RJ-45 connector?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have used hundreds of Ideal RJ45s. I seriously doubt that the 1/4" of contact in the plug is the problem. I would have to look at your terminations with my own eyes to render more opinion.

Is it possible the cable itself is in poor condition?

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Did you check the color sequence being used on the installation you are working ?
Actually, as long as you use the same 568-A vs -B pattern, it doesn't matter.

The important thing is that the pairs are paired and terminated correctly.

And of course neatly maintain twists as far as possible.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired

Agreed, but I always check anyway. Also, I always take my time and use the crimp on the jacket ... so many are in a hurry and land just the wire and leave the jacket hanging.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
A couple of years ago, a friend asked me to troubleshoot the phone-over-ethernet jacks he added to an existing system at a veterinary clinic. Here are the before and after pics:

Bef.JPG Aft.JPG

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
See whether different cables work in the same run. Maybe even swap cables end-for-end.

There must be some consistency. Any cables work everywhere? Any cables work nowhere?

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College

What's most important is that you use the -SAME- A vs B at both ends of the cable (or cable run). They're electrically equivalent.

TwoBlocked

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
See whether different cables work in the same run. Maybe even swap cables end-for-end.

There must be some consistency. Any cables work everywhere? Any cables work nowhere?
OK, nobody else seems to have trouble with the Ideal RJ45 connectors, so they really aren't the problem. Like I said, they test out fine with my Klein LAN Scout 2. Am thinking these ABB Total Flow sockets are persnickety. I guess I'll try to find RJ45's that they like.

I do have some factory made cables I could check with...

(Btw, can't believe "persnickety" is in spell check!)

Birken Vogt

(Btw, can't believe "persnickety" is in spell check!)

Overparticular about trivial details; fastidious

We had this discussion at work a few years ago. I like to use the word. Some customers are persnickety; however don't accuse me of being the same, I am just trying to maintain a little quality control around here.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I've also put in hundreds of this brand with no problems. I did have some problems with plenum cable, but it was just "tough" cable.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Overparticular about trivial details; fastidious

We had this discussion at work a few years ago. I like to use the word. Some customers are persnickety; however don't accuse me of being the same, I am just trying to maintain a little quality control around here.
Now you made me have to look up fastidious!:(:)

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
If your cables test out OK with your Klein cable tester trust it. Maybe wiggle the cable where it goes into the plug while under test to make sure.

ABB Total Flow "sockets"? Those are RJ-45 ports on some equipment? How old is the equipment? Are you sure they are standard RJ-45 8 pin/8 position and not keyed or offset? I've been doing data and telecom work for 40 years and can tell you that they do become intermittent or damaged. Try working a plug in and out several times to break up oxidation or corrosion on the port pins. Maybe a little contact cleaner. Look for bent pins too.

I really don't think it's your plugs.

-Hal

TwoBlocked

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
Thanks
If your cables test out OK with your Klein cable tester trust it. Maybe wiggle the cable where it goes into the plug while under test to make sure.

ABB Total Flow "sockets"? Those are RJ-45 ports on some equipment? How old is the equipment? Are you sure they are standard RJ-45 8 pin/8 position and not keyed or offset? I've been doing data and telecom work for 40 years and can tell you that they do become intermittent or damaged. Try working a plug in and out several times to break up oxidation or corrosion on the port pins. Maybe a little contact cleaner. Look for bent pins too.

I really don't think it's your plugs.

-Hal
Thanks, Hal. ABB Total Flow communicates a number of ways including ethernet, which of course uses RJ-45 connections. Nothing fancy about them. It's new equipment we have in the shop for training. But sometimes training equipment gets put through the wringer... I had given up on these particular boards, especially the one. Then someone got it working using another cable. Maybe the socket got compromised somehow.

Myself, I am not fond of ABB, especially Total Flow products.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
What you could try is putting a jack (just the module) on the end of your cable instead of a plug. Then use a short pre-made jumper or patch cable between the jack and the board. Can't believe it would make a difference, but it might.

-Hal

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Are the Ideal plugs you are using the pass-through type? There have been issues with some device jacks having metal in the back shorting the exposed ends of the wires on the end of the plug.

Its usually not a problem with Ethernet devices because I believe the design standard does no allow the jack to be designed that way. It has been more of an issue with devices that are not Ethernet but use Ethernet cables for connections.

TwoBlocked

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
Are the Ideal plugs you are using the pass-through type? There have been issues with some device jacks having metal in the back shorting the exposed ends of the wires on the end of the plug.

Its usually not a problem with Ethernet devices because I believe the design standard does no allow the jack to be designed that way. It has been more of an issue with devices that are not Ethernet but use Ethernet cables for connections.
Huh! Yes, they are pass through. But yes this is ethernet requiring an IP address. One guy says he nips the bugling plastic from the end of the connector to make them work.

Birken Vogt

I hate pass through connectors.

Dumbing down of the industry.

I install them with the wires clipped to the proper length so they don't poke out the front of the connector which takes even more time because there is no hard stop to even them up, have to do it by hand.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
A couple of years ago, a friend asked me to troubleshoot the phone-over-ethernet jacks he added to an existing system at a veterinary clinic. Here are the before and after pics:

View attachment 2572872 View attachment 2572873
That looks like one my installs :)
I have a terrible time terminating those dangable connectors,
Obviously I'm not as fastidious as LittleBill (although a lot more handsome) :)