Ideal RJ-45 Connectors ?

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

TwoBlocked

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
Hi i believe You are experiencing compatibility issues with your Ideal RJ-45 connectors despite them testing fine with your Klein Scout Jr 2.This can be frustrating especially when some devices don't work.Consider trying connectors from Leviton or Panduit which are highly regarded for their quality and reliability.
Have you personally had issues with the Ideal brand?

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Truth be told, I have never used a pass-through type plug. I only use Amp plugs and a GMP plug presser that uses interchangeable dies for the various plugs available. (8P/8pos, 6P/6pos and 4P/4pos handset cords).

I always recommend not installing plugs on the end of cables in the field if at all possible because of the difficulty. (Having to strip the cable accurately and maintain the proper order while inserting the conductors into the plug then crimp under poor lighting and not always ideal working conditions.)

I always terminate on a patch panel then patch cables to the switch or router. Always wall jacks.

Keep in mind also that there are plugs made for solid and plugs made for stranded conductors and they are not interchangeable. I do understand that some manufacturers make plugs that are supposed to be for both solid and stranded but I don't trust them. Use the wrong plug and the problem shows up as an intermittent.

-Hal

Birken Vogt

Keep in mind also that there are plugs made for solid and plugs made for stranded conductors and they are not interchangeable. I do understand that some manufacturers make plugs that are supposed to be for both solid and stranded but I don't trust them. Use the wrong plug and the problem shows up as an intermittent.
I have never seen anybody go into any depth on that. I wouldn't really know what to look for.

I think solid has 2 teeth and stranded has multi teeth but that is all I know.

Todd0x1

I have never seen anybody go into any depth on that. I wouldn't really know what to look for.

I think solid has 2 teeth and stranded has multi teeth but that is all I know.
They exist as both 2 and 3 teeth. 3 teeth is for solid, they wrap around the conductor. There is a two tooth for solid where the teeth are offset and the solid conductor ends up between them. The 2 tooth for stranded has straight teeth that pierce the center line of the conductor. I only use the 3 tooth kind on solid. Installed probably a couple thousand of them in the field and the only failure I know of was a temporary POE camera outdoors where the connection got wet and the DC ate the contacts away -nothing really to do with the RJ45 itself.

hbiss

Occupation
EC
No, not at all. AMP makes lots of plugs. I would never use something with a separate piece. And that's for CAT6. I'm not sure of the part numbers of what I use, it's been years since I had to buy them, bought 1000 at a time.

-Hal

hbiss

Occupation
EC
Yes, in trying to make the transition from 3 pair Cat3 (red/green, yellow/black, and orange/blue) to Cat5, they apparently chose orange (or orange with white ring) as the closest to red and paired it with green (or green with white ring)
He was trying to transition from the old station wire color code to the 25 pair color code.

red/green = white blue/blue white
yellow/black = white orange/orange white
orange/blue = white brown/brown white

If you have ever used voice grade jack modules, they will be marked with both color codes as above.

-Hal

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
When I started playing with phones, the lines had three wires. I think the yellow carried ring voltage.

But two-wire lines became the standard, and the yellow and black became the LV lighted-dial supply.

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer
Truth be told, I have never used a pass-through type plug. I only use Amp plugs and a GMP plug presser that uses interchangeable dies for the various plugs available. (8P/8pos, 6P/6pos and 4P/4pos handset cords).

I always recommend not installing plugs on the end of cables in the field if at all possible because of the difficulty. (Having to strip the cable accurately and maintain the proper order while inserting the conductors into the plug then crimp under poor lighting and not always ideal working conditions.)

I always terminate on a patch panel then patch cables to the switch or router. Always wall jacks.

-Hal
I’ve had to explain to countless electrical engineers and products managers over the last 15 years that “we’re gonna have them field-terminate the device” is a bad idea.

I don’t think an engineer, especially any engineer working on physical things, needs to be required to be proficient in the installation, configuration and check-out of whatever they are making.

Note, I will never work on a 200 ton chiller because I ain’t gonna ever learn to do that. No, no, someone younger can do that.

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer
In my recollection, it was always

red/green
yellow/black
blue/white
orange/brown

But seldom had more than 2 pairs anyway, and not twisted.
Correct. Telco wiring is NOT twisted-pair. The first four colors were the standard, at least for residential wiring.

hbiss

Occupation
EC
Correct. Telco wiring is NOT twisted-pair. The first four colors were the standard, at least for residential wiring.
Well, at least the old station wire or JK wire wasn't twisted pair.
When I started playing with phones, the lines had three wires. I think the yellow carried ring voltage.

But two-wire lines became the standard, and the yellow and black became the LV lighted-dial supply.
The yellow was ground on those systems that used it for one side of the ringer such as for a party line. If needed, up to four customers' phones could be rung independently sharing the same two outside wires. Of course, they could only have one conversation at a time.

Since the old red/green/black/yellow station wire wasn't twisted pair, it caused a problem when customers started wanting two lines. The yellow/black was intended to power the dial lights on phones like the Princess off a plug-in transformer (that sometimes would burn up). It was not intended to be another talk path and when used that way caused crosstalk between the two lines. This is when two, three and four twisted pair cables began replacing the old JK. These twisted pair cables followed the color coding of pairs 1-4 of the existing 25 pair standard.

Originally, the four pair wasn't categized because it was only for voice, but later somebody decided to put data on that cable and ethernet and the CAT2 spec was introduced.

-Hal

brycenesbitt

To get nit-picky, it depends on which way the interfering signal is coming from, broad-side vs edge-ways, and the orientation of that signal, parallel vs perpendicular.
"Nature's rules, Daniel-san, not mine."
Interference tends to be very intermittent. The OP's case sounds like total failure to even link up.

TwoBlocked

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
Had another ethernet cable with Ideal connectors fail yesterday when connected between a Beijer HMI and an ABB XIO-04 controller. Like before, it tested fine with a Scout 2 tester. Just got a bag of Ampcon amcat6250100. We'll see if they do better.

These have been short cables, like 1 or 2 feet. Did a google search and am getting different answers about minimum length. Could that be the problem.?